flovorless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commandercool724

Reaction score
I jsut brewed a batch of cider...
in a five gallob bucket with airlock

4 1/2 gallons jewel brand apple cider
4 lbs of brown sugar
lavin 71 B 11-22 yeast I dissoleved the sugar in juice than pitched the yeast I let ferment until bubbling stopped primed with 2/3 cups brown sugar

I just tasted it and it doesnt taste like much of anyting? its carbonated but it just doesnt taste like anything. is it because I only wiated like 6 days after bottling? I need help

71B will ferment out very dry, no matter how much sugar you put in it. If you bottle it, it will taste like a decent, but very dry white wine in another 6-12 months. Next time try an ale yeast like S04, Nottingham, or US05, or a wheat yeast like 3068 and cold crash if you want something sweeter.

+1 on using an ale yeast.
Using wine yeast strips a lot of flavour out of the cider that needs a lot of ageing to come back. Got a few just around a year old that are good now, back when they were one to two months old they tasted kind of hot with nothing else really detectable.
I have made a couple batches with WLP300 that were very good after 2 months.
I'm making two batches now with US-05, First batch was at 1.000 when I threw it into a keg from secondary to condition. Second batch is three weeks+ and still cloudy.
Next will be a batch or two with US-04.
Anyone have other suggestions?

Back