Flaked oats or flaked wheat for a NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Beard

Reaction score
I was planning on using flaked wheat though I see lots of recipes that used flaked oats. Just looking for opinions.

fwiw, ime the persistence of the presumably desired haze is longer using malted adjuncts vs flaked...

Cheers!
I think my favourite Brewery here in Spain changed the flakes for malted oats, or at least a part of it, they said something in those lines in a Instagram Live

My personal experience is that flaked wheat produces a bit more haze, while flaked oats produce a softer mouthfeel. Flaked oats seem to drop out faster. I've used both in combination with one another and separately.

Not a fan of malted oats. They produce haze but also impart a flavor that I'm not in love with.

I usually use a bit of both (flaked). If I remember correctly, wheat does more for head retention and haze and oats do more for smooth mouthfeel.

8-10% Carafoam and the right yeast with moderate to high dry hopping rates will equal pretty permanent haze without all the flaked grains. Flaked/unmalted grains are notoriously high in Manganese which can significantly speed up oxidation if it happens (which it most likely will). Malted versions of the same grain have significantly less Manganese. Hops are also high in Manganese. You’re going to be adding a lot of them in a highly hopped beer so starting with less is a wise idea.

Brewtan-B might help with the manganese as well.

Back