Clonebrews Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout - SRM way off (darker in recipe)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just looking for a confirmation or reality check. They are giving:

MO - 81.2%
Crystal 55 - 5.5%**
Chocolate malt - 5.5% (I'm using Simpson's at 413)
Flaked Oats - 5.5%
Roasted Barley - 2.2%

Using the recipe, I'm only coming up with SRM 30, whereas they're showing 68, obviously much darker. Anyone seeing something I'm not seeing?

**I'm actually using 77 at 2.2% and 135-165 at 3.4% - so my recipe should be even darker than Clonebrews).

What are the actual malts weights (not percentages) and batch size?

Also, what's the Lovibond for your roasted barley?

Last edited:
What are the actual malts weights (not percentages) and batch size?
5 gallons:

7.5# pale malt
.5# (toasted) flaked oatmeal
.5# British Chocolate (I'm using Simpson's - 413 L)
.5# 55L crystal
3 oz roasted barley

If I actually go with their 55L v. the darker crystals I would like to use, I'm coming up even lighter, slightly - 28.8 SRM

Last edited:
5 gallons:

7.5# pale malt
.5# (toasted) flaked oatmeal
.5# British Chocolate (I'm using Simpson's - 413 L)
.5# 55L crystal
.5# roasted barley

If I actually go with their 55L v. the darker crystals I would like to use, I'm coming up even lighter, slightly - 28.8 SRM

I think maybe you meant .2# Roasted Barley (to line up with your original percentages)? If so, 30 SRM looks about right.

Maybe the mistake is theirs and they've mistakenly said SRM when they really mean EBC? 68EBC = 35SRM
Yeah, I could see that. But even so - that's way too light for the beer, don't you think? On that thread he indicated it came out dark amber, "light porter."

Beersmith3 says my imperial chocolate stout recipe hits 52 SRM (close to 100 EBC).
I'd be unhappy if my stout wasn't "black" - because a black stout is beautiful. Brown stout, not so much...

1703716828539.png

Cheers!

35's pretty dark in my book.
Hmm. Not in mine actually - agree with day_trippr. Not expecting the same color, but by way of comparison, my current RIS is coming in at 89 SRM (following Ron Pattinson, including the high IBUs - so letting the chips fall as he has them). I'm looking right in day_trippr's range, 100 or even a tad more. Black patent? My crystals are already as I like them for other than dry-stouts, a blend of 77 and 135-165.

While here, I have some Simpson's DRC. Not a clone any longer, but interested in using it. Anyone? Suggestions here?

There is a subtle difference on my monitor but these things aren't all that portable to begin with...

[edit] fwiw, pasting the source image into a photo editor and picking at the dark colors for their RGB values:

Dunkel EBC 39: 80,54,33
Porter EBC 47: 39,30,29
Stout EBC 57: 23,19,16
Baltic Porter EBC 69: 16,16,16
Export Stout EBC 79: 12,12,12
Imperial Stout EBC 138: 0,0,0

Cheers!

Last edited:
Just looked up a few from Terry Foster's stout book, for some data points. All are in SRM:

Foreign extra, 129, 194, 224, 156
Oatmeals: 118, 94, 81, 86, 88, 79

Hmm. Not in mine actually - agree with day_trippr. Not expecting the same color, but by way of comparison, my current RIS is coming in at 89 SRM (following Ron Pattinson, including the high IBUs - so letting the chips fall as he has them). I'm looking right in day_trippr's range, 100 or even a tad more. Black patent?

I don't know which RIS of his you're brewing, but my 1914 Courage comes in at a calculated 71 SRM and is black, black, black.

So strange. Plugging his St. Andrew's Pleasure in, I'm still only getting 40 SRM (he's getting 118, so clearly that's crazy). I have to go back to some old recipes, as none of this makes sense to me.

Edit: My old stout is 48, a robust porter is 44, and a baltic porter is 58. My old RIS is 71. It has 70% mild malt, 10.4% each of brown and DRC, 3.9% roast barley and 5.2% chocolate.

Last edited:
Back