Rouge chocolate stout clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haze Crazed

Reaction score
Brewing a rouge chocolate stout clone with a modifications tomorrow.

Shooting for 12g into the fermentor:

27lbs 2 row
1.2lbs flaked oats
1.7lbs crystal 120
0.6lbs roasted barley
1.7lbs chocolate

Mash 154, Batch sparge, water profile built on Bru’n water.

Was planning on using joystick for yeast but my lhbs was out. Went with flagship yeast instead, was this a bad move???

Imperial Flagship is a "Chico" strain, and compared to traditional English strains for stouts will provide a "cleaner" character (less "estery") and will attenuate further, resulting in a somewhat drier beer. That latter aspect can be countered by mashing higher, which your intended 154°F might achieve.

In the end, I believe it will produce a tasty stout :)

Cheers!

Using a Chico, you'll still get a tasty beer, but it won't be a stout. 1 of the trademarks of a stout is its esters, and Chico doesn't cause them. Either way, enjoy it. It was not a bad move; it will just end up a different beer.

Imperial Flagship is a "Chico" strain, and compared to traditional English strains for stouts will provide a "cleaner" character (less "estery") and will attenuate further, resulting in a somewhat drier beer. That latter aspect can be countered by mashing higher, which your intended 154°F might achieve.

Cheers!
Should I increase mash them to day 156? Try to finish less dry. I don’t think dry when it comes to stouts.

I añ

Cheers!
I already have my starter spinning with 2 packs of flagship but I have a pack of juice (keep it on hand since I brew NEIPA 90% of the time). Do I mix in juice I know that gives all the esters. I’m not sure about mixing yeast but I don’t want this to be a dudd

I don’t think dry when it comes to stouts.
Never had an Irish Stout then?
Do I mix in juice I know that gives all the esters.
If you wanted to give that a try, you'd pitch the Juice alone, let it work for a few days to a week and do its character contribution, then follow that with the Flagship and let it ride 'til the SG stays flat for a few days before moving along...

Cheers!

Never had an Irish Stout then?

If you wanted to give that a try, you'd pitch the Juice alone, let it work for a few days to a week and do its character contribution, then follow that with the Flagship and let it ride 'til the SG stays flat for a few days before moving along...

Cheers!
I have had an Irish stout and I didn’t even think about the fact that it was dry. I suppose generally the stouts i drink are not so I just canceled it out.

I moved forward with the flagship and I’m just going to roll with that for the whole fermentation. I haven’t used it before so I’m interested in how it turns out. From all accounts it seems to be pretty neutral, attenuates just as good as juice and flocs well

I have had an Irish stout and I didn’t even think about the fact that it was dry. I suppose generally the stouts i drink are not so I just canceled it out.

I moved forward with the flagship and I’m just going to roll with that for the whole fermentation. I haven’t used it before so I’m interested in how it turns out. From all accounts it seems to be pretty neutral, attenuates just as good as juice and flocs well
So I tried a “3V” brew today using my 15g pot as my HLT, 15G igloo for mash Tun and my 20g pot for boil kettle. Planned my brew around 72% mash/brew house efficiencies with estimated OG of 1.069 and 6.8% abv. Well, my mash efficiency ended up being 84% and brew house 80.1% which clocked in quite a bit higher than expected. My chocolate stout turned to an imperial stout lol.

Attachments

• 11961AA9-E19E-43B8-8CC2-E3D9A3D83ADC.jpeg
    11961AA9-E19E-43B8-8CC2-E3D9A3D83ADC.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 2A0564B1-B2E8-4776-A654-FC6711F2C0CE.jpeg
    2A0564B1-B2E8-4776-A654-FC6711F2C0CE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 9032B7E8-5491-4ED6-BFCB-2D036E9E298E.jpeg
    9032B7E8-5491-4ED6-BFCB-2D036E9E298E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back