rolled white wheat flakes ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lawnmower beer like Cream O' Three Crops? :)

I don't see why it couldn't be used in place of malted wheat, as long as there's some malt providing the amylase enzymes (ie: use it with a 2 or 6-row malted barley base malt). The recommendation for a protein rest could be applied to any brew using wheat - malted or flaked or rolled.

Cheers!

guess I can just toss it in a hefe or saison?

Sure, but would add malted wheat to hefe as well. Also can use for Belgium wit and mixed fermentation to give bugs more to chew on. Adds body to the beer.

decided to brew another hefe.

I went with 1/2 & 1/2 regular wheat and these wheat flakes.

Is that enough malted wheat to mash these flakes?

I ran them thru the grain mill but they don't really look any different.

Will be mashing for a few hours while away at work.

The flaked wheat or malted through the grain mill? Flaked grains don't get processed because they are flat. Malted wheat needs a tighter gap because they are huskless and smaller.

both thru the mill.

question really is since the flaked wheat I guess is not malted...I need some malt to provide enzymes for conversion.

How much malted grain is needed per pound of flaked wheat to provide enough enzyme action so that conversion will be complete?

White wheat malt is actually pretty strong wrt diastatic power with the Lintner ratings typically around 160 - actually a bit higher than 2-row barley malt typical numbers.

So, assume 0 Lintner for the flaked/rolled/whatever wheat flakes, and 160 for your wheat malt. You want the ratios used to result in a combined Lintner rating over 40 for full conversion. For one point on that curve, 10 pounds of your flaked wheat will be fully converted using as little as 4 pounds of white wheat malt...

Cheers!

I'm surprised Brewer's Friend (part of the TxBrewCo conglomerate ;)) doesn't have a comparable "Net Lintner" grain bill calculator to this one:

https://www.topdownbrew.com/diastaticPower.html
That should make it easy to figure out how to blend diastatic grains with non-diastatics :)

Cheers!
1681252211586.png

Plenty of diastatic power and your mashing for couple hours so you won't have a any problem unless your malted wheat doesn't look cracked. Otherwise, I would tighten the gap and re-mill the grain.

cool...so half and half is no problem then?
Conversion wise, not a problem.

But... you'd need to add quite a bit of (raw) husk material, as neither contributes it, all wheat being huskless. They're also full of glucans making for an extremely sticky mash. You're looking at a long, labor intensive mash/lauter process...

Rice hulls (or oat hulls in some countries) are traditionally added to aid in mash permeability and later, lautering.

I don't know how much of hulls you would need, 2-5% by weight* perhaps, largely depending on your mash/lauter system.
[EDIT] You'll need more permeability when fly sparging, than you'd need when batch sparging or using a full volume mash in a bag, as you can keep stirring those while adding more hot (even boiling) water, to loosen it up, and keep your mash temps.

* 5% of rice hulls seems to be about the very maximum that's recommended, so don't go over that. It's still a huge amount of volume!

fwiw, I use a half pound of rice hulls on any batch where there's wheat involved.
Cheap insurance against a stuck mash and all the pita that results...

Cheers!

mash draining and sparging was no problem. Went very quickly.

BIAB in a basket. I mashed in the malt. then sprinkled the flakes on top and let it mash at 150 while recic all day.

pulled the basket and it drained just fine. fly sparged the basket another 1.5 gallons which raised thru the grain bed without any issues.

I was a bit worried because when I've used oatmeal in the mash before, I've gotten really, really slow draining.

mash draining and sparging was no problem. Went very quickly.

BIAB in a basket. I mashed in the malt. then sprinkled the flakes on top and let it mash at 150 while recic all day.

pulled the basket and it drained just fine. fly sparged the basket another 1.5 gallons which raised thru the grain bed without any issues.

I was a bit worried because when I've used oatmeal in the mash before, I've gotten really, really slow draining.
Good to hear!
All without adding any rice hulls or other mash/lautering aid?
How was the pre-boil gravity?

OG about 2-3 points below same recipe using 100% wheat malt, vice 1/2 wheat flakes.

I rarely bother with SG since my mashes are usually 8-10 hours so 100% conversion is basically assumed.

OG about 2-3 points below same recipe using 100% wheat malt, vice 1/2 wheat flakes.

I rarely bother with SG since my mashes are usually 8-10 hours so 100% conversion is basically assumed.
Good stuff.
I always lower my effeciency in Beersmith with wheat heavy beers by 3 to 5% and mash for 75 to 90 mins instead of 60 mins.
I did that for the below recipe last week and got the exact expected OG of 1.049
I do BIAB too with a sparge (about 70% mash to 30% sparge water ratio) so no problem with lautering.
The weird hops combination was just to use up some leftovers :)

1681404934384.png

Last edited:
yep...less than full volume BIAB with a nice sparge bumps efficiency.

Back