Fist time kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your keg still has 30 psi in it. That will pour foam. Set it to 10 psi for three days. Then it will be fine.

That dispenser is going to give you foam ALOT because the beer is not slowing down...you're going to have to use a very low PSI to serve...get yourself some beer line and I'm sure it will help...I know because I have one and stopped using it because of all the foam

I backed the setting down on the regulator, it hissed and the gauge dropped to 10 (then 4 the second go round). I was hoping to serve tomorrow. It is in the fridge now pressurized to 5. I think I have a picnic style tap, not as cool, but I can't deal with glasses of foam.

That dispenser is going to give you foam ALOT because the beer is not slowing down...you're going to have to use a very low PSI to serve...get yourself some beer line and I'm sure it will help...I know because I have one and stopped using it because of all the foam

I backed the setting down on the regulator, it hissed and the gauge dropped to 10 (then 4 the second go round). I was hoping to serve tomorrow. It is in the fridge now pressurized to 5. I think I have a picnic style tap, not as cool, but I can't deal with glasses of foam.

I use picnic taps and have no shame! :ban:

Just turn the gas off.. then purge the gas out of the keg (Pull the valve in the middle of the keg).. Once all of the gas is gone (only takes a few seconds), turn the gas back on THEN set it to serving pressure. You gotta release the pressure built up from when you had it set to 30. Just dialing it down is not enough. -- It also helps to have your beer line to be about 6' long.

You must clear the headspace like the others have said. Also, I would recommend doing 20psi for 2-3 days without rolling the keg, then clear headspace and go to 10psi for serving. I have done this 2 times now and have had perfectly carbed beer each time. Green beer for sure, but delicious even still. :)

You must clear the headspace like the others have said. Also, I would recommend doing 20psi for 2-3 days without rolling the keg, then clear headspace and go to 10psi for serving. I have done this 2 times now and have had perfectly carbed beer each time. Green beer for sure, but delicious even still. :)

Thanks!

Good information! I'll just stuck with my cobra for now. :mug:

No problem. Your keg appears to be a pin lock keg which means it does not have the "pin" on the post. What I do to clear headspace on my pin lock kegs is I pull the gas line off and I press down on the poppet with a screw driver or even my car keys to relieve the gas. MAKE SURE NOT TO ACCIDENTALLY PUSH DOWN ON THE POPPET ON THE LIQUID POST! I have done this and it makes a huge mess, luckily mine was empty so all I got was a small spray in the face.

I'm fairly new to kegging myself - I've found this process works best:

1. Rack beer into keg.
2. Put gas on at 30psi (do not shake the keg)
3. Leave on 30psi for about 24 hours, I often lower the temp at this time to about 36F.
4. Purge CO2 in keg.
5. Turn down PSI to about 6, and adjust to your desired serving temp.
6. Re-gas the keg at 6psi.
7. Keg is ready to serve in about 24 hours.

The faucet is connected directly to the keg. You need 10' of beer line between the keg and the faucet. The beer line slows down the flow and keeps the C02 in solution.

I would also suggest you avoid the rolling and/or shaking your first few times. It is pretty easy to over carbonate a keg that way. If I do shake I only do it for about 30 seconds when I first hook up the CO2. If it doesn't improve after you chill it and hook up the picnic tap, turn off the CO2 and blow off the headspace pressure a few times as it builds back up. That will get some of the dissolved CO2 out.

Back