Glass full of foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacasse93

Reaction score
I keg fermented at around 40 degrees F for 48 hours at 30psi and then conditioned for 3 days at 10psi and got all foam. I turned it down to 5psi for 24 hours and just poured another glass of all foam. I’m running a picnic tap straight from the keg which is 3 or 4 feet of tube. I know that’s not ideal but shouldn’t be the main problem right?

This is my 3rd time kegging and cannot figure out for the life of me what I’m doing wrong

I'm a little confused as to what you're describing. Surely you didn't ferment at 40 F, or for only 48 hours?

If you're spending 48 hours at 30 psi, though, you're likely overcarbonated. Turning the pressure down at that point will only do so much, because the headspace pressure will go right back up again as CO2 comes out of solution. Depending on how much headspace you have, you will need to vent the keg (pull the pressure release valve) multiple times over a day or two.

And that said, even if you're using low-ID tubing, 3 or 4 feet of tube is going to be much too short.

Try "set and forget" carbonation at 10 psi or so, and use 10 feet of tubing. Or, if you don't mind throwing some money at the problem, get one of these.

I apologize. Full ferment in a keg THEN carbonated at 30psi for 48 hours so on and so forth. Would 24 hours at 30 psi be sufficient for next time presuming I wont have that tap you recommended (though if it truly needs no line I am all for getting it)

Ah, that makes more sense.

I'm a "set and forget" guy myself, sometimes with some shaking if I get too impatient. Impossible to overcarb that way. I think 24 hours at 30 psi is more in line with what people do. Check the sticky.

And yes, Trong's picnic tap really doesn't need a line. It is a thing of wonder.

Trying to carbonate at the fastest possible rate comes with its challenges. The chart pressure is going to be around 10-12psi for most beers. Any pressure higher than that, for any period of time will get you carbed faster but you can go over pretty easily. It's not as simple as turning it down because that doesn't quickly remove dissolved CO2. You need to vent the headspace to around zero psi to encourage lowering of carbonation and many times you'll have to do that a couple times without reconnecting the gas.

I personally only go 30psi for 10-12 hours and I don't tempt fate further than that.

Back