First two batches did not come out very good...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boredatwork

Reaction score
Here is my story.

My first batch was an Irish Red Ale. I assumed it would taste similar to an Irish Red Lager since I never had an Irish Red Ale before. The results we less than desirable. It came out very bitter, which I decided might have been a result of the recipe since the IBU rating was higher for the recipe I used than other Irish Red Ale recipes I have seen.

Since the Red Ale came out too bitter, for my next batch I went with a Scottish Ale (70). After fermenting I tasted a sample right after I kegged it and it was very watery, but definitely not bitter, so I was relieved. However, after about a week in the keg I had a very strange experience. I went to pour another sample of the Scottish Ale and when I drank it, it was very bitter. Then I realized, "Oh I must have poured from the wrong keg." (I don't have faucets yet, just picnic taps and the hoses get all tangled up). So then I poured from the other keg only to realize the bad news. I had actually poured from the right keg the first time.

In fact, the two beers taste very, very similar. The Scottish is a little less bitter than the Red Ale but essentially the same flavor. I don't have the recipes handy right now, but both were MoreBeer LME kits. However, I think for the Scottish I used an English Ale yeast since they were out of the Scottish Ale yeast. I believe I used the same substitution for the Irish Ale yeast as well. I will double check my notes when I get home.

I also know I made at least once mistake per batch. When I was brewing the Irish Ale, it was my first time using a burner. A long story short, the steeping grains were in the water for close to 60 minutes instead of the recommend 30 minutes. Then, when I was brewing the Scottish Ale it was my first time using my IC, and one of the hose clamps was not fully tightened and some tap water got into the hot wort. I don't think either of these two things are significant, but if I knew what was wrong I probably would have made better tasting beers in the first place!

I must admit it is very discouraging to be 0 for 2. One question I anticipate popping up is fermentation/conditioning time. The Irish Ale was fermented for 2 weeks (at 68-72F), and has been in the keg for at least 12 weeks. The Scottish Ale was fermented for 6 weeks (at 66-68F) and has been in the keg for 1 week.

In my investigation I have seen multiple posts about "extract twang" and "all homebrew tastes the same", but I always thought those people didn't know what they were doing. Well, I think I may have just joined the club. Although I have found those characteristics associated with partial boils. Both of these batches were full boils.

I think the key to this mystery is in the fact that after fermenting the Scottish Ale was sweet, but after carbing in the keg it became bitter. I will consider all suggestions and opinions as helpful.

I am also considering taking requests to see if someone who I judge experienced will sample both of my crappy beers to give me some constructive feedback

It looks like that Morebeer Irish Red Ale has ~50 IBUs. Granted theirs is not a light sessions ale, but that's a lot for the style.

They're Scotch Ale looks like it's much more malt forward. How your Scotch become more bitter after kegging, I don't know. Are you sure it isn't the acidic sting of carbonation?

If your steeping H2O was too hot for your Irish, that's a problem. But 60 minutes in itself isn't bad, I don't think.

I know this doesn't answer everything. Have others tried these beers and, if so, do they agree with your descriptions? That actually would be helpful. (Looks like you thought of this yourself in the last sentence.)

Latest posts

Back