Success "fixing" a too-sweet beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sibelman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've brewed this recipe many times: a DIPA that I call Scottish Imperial Ale because I use Scottish ale yeast, usually Imperial Tartan. About 1.090 OG. The next batch is boiling now.

The previous one came out too sweet. Why? Conceivably, it was due to using White Labs Edinburgh because the LHBS was out of stock on Imperial Tartan. Doubtful, though. Attenuation was 71%. More likely an IBU shortfall because I carelessly used more 7% Cascade and less 9% Centennial than usual.

After drinking much of it but planning to dump the rest, I asked for advice. Kevin, owner of Mainbrew in Hillsboro, OR, offered 3 options. Add some US-05 that might chew through more sugars; add sugar to raise the alcohol and, thus, lower the gravity; or add a strong, bitter hop tea to balance the sweetness.

I choose the third option, boiling 2oz. of Centennial pellets and pouring through a strainer, then into the keg (with CO2 flowing to mitigate oxygen ingress).

It worked like a charm! Kudos to Kevin! (btw, my other LHBS is FH Steinbart in Portland. I'm so lucky to have two great stores near me.)

Maybe this experience will help someone else in the same boat.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back