First Time Kegging Drama - Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calbadose

Reaction score
So got around to kegging my first batch of Caribou Slobber last night. I purchased a Brew Logic setup from Midwest Supplies.

In sanitizing one of the two kegs I was going to use for the Slobber I discovered that one of the posts on the keg would not let the picnic tap firmly seat on to it. OK, I have another keg I will just use that one and talk to Midwest about the post not taking the tap connection.

Alright moving on, test the pressure with CO2 tank attached, no leaks, great! OK now letting second keg dry out upside down before racking beer to it. Did a mock setup with the bad post keg and the CO2 tank inside my fridge, looking good, take it out, connect CO2 tank one last time to confirm all is good with the keg I am going to use and all of a sudden the second output of the regulator is blowing i.e. going from 0psi to 60psi and blocking the release valve. What happened? All was good a minute ago! Did a diaphragm get blown out?

Luckily, my buddy down the street had a regulator I could borrow to get the beer into the keg and finish what I had started last night. After connecting his regulator to the keg (with the picnic tap connected - Oops!) it went up to about 20+ psi and then beer started to come out of the picnic tap. OK it doesn't like that so turn off CO2, release pressure in keg, and remove picnic tap, and wipe up beer on carpet and in fridge. Turn CO2 back on, pump up psi to 30ish and then it blows off, the reg doesn't seem to like that pressure either! OK, bump it down to 20 and it's happy! Alright, call it a night!

The instructions I had were to get it to 30psi for 24 hours and then down to 12ish after that for good carbonation. I currently have the keg at 20 since the reg was happier there. Will it carbonate OK at 20psi? How long should I leave it at 20 before purging and then setting to 12ish?

Thanks y'all...wasn't what I was hoping for my first kegging experience but hey glad I have some beer in a keg and in a fridge! I will certainly be calling Midwest supplies about both the faulty regulator and the post that doesn't play well with the picnic tap.

-Cal

20 will definitely carb your beer. My very first kegging experience, I started with 20psi for about 16 hours and then bumped it down to 12-15psi. It was outside on the back porch so the keg was probably around 40 degrees. It was perfectly carbed for my taste. It did get better after a few weeks of being on the gas at 12, but in less than 24hrs, I had perfectly carbed beer with 20psi. So, you'll be fine. Just taste it until it reaches the proper carb level for your palate and then knock it down to serve.

Back