Stressing over replacement mini keg regulator (for 74g CO2 bulbs)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue-Frog

Reaction score
I am stressing over getting:
A] a 0~90 psi regulator for 74g CO2 on a mini-keg....Easy, so-so price
B] a 0~30 psi regulator for 74g CO2 on a mini-keg.....DIFFICULT (or impossible?) at easy price
C] giving up hope and just using the broken 0~30 psi regulator that reads ~7 PSI > ZERO even when there is no CO2 connected.

I want to go with option B, but haven't found a good source (for here in Japan)

Is Option C worse than option A?
Will the faulty reading be essentially the same all the way through the whole 30 psi range, allowing me to just "SUBTRACT THE OFF-SET" ?

Probably impossible to say if C) is everything shifted by 7 psi, or if a reading of 7 on the gauge means 0, but 30 on the gauge still equals 30 and your whole range is now 30 psi real pressure across a gauge range of 23 psi. I guess all you really do know is that the gauge isn't accurate.

But depending how you use it, that might not really matter. If you're just using it to dispense a mobile mini keg, I typically set it to something and then adjust up or down based on the pours coming out. So untrustworthy gauge is no big deal. If you're using it to carbonate your uncarbonated beer, then that does seem like a problem. You could end up with over or undercarbonated beer. In that case, A is better than C.

As for whether B is important or not, again goes back to how you're using it. If trying to use it to get target dissolved volumes of CO2 in your uncarbonated beer, I would definitely think B is the right away to go.

Yes, I am definitely focused on carbonation, rather than pushing. So I guess i will keep looking for a good B. If I choose to give up, then it will be A.

Thanks for helping me confirm my line of thought.

agreed , the broken one is almost useless. i tried to use my broken regulator that also reads 7 when not connected and it has a leek and wont regulate.
agreed the 30 is fine thats what i use on my mini kegerators
also can you get a hold of sodastream canisters they are cheapest co2 aside from full size tanks.
and they have available adaptors and or miniregs

in the pic below i have the a sodastream with adaptor and 0-30 minireg from amazon.

Attachments

• 1699011667702.png
    1699011667702.png
    939.3 KB · Views: 0
I have avoided looking into sodastream up to this point. What adapter is required?How much do they go for... at? weight of CO2?

look at this thread it has all the info you are looking for.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/just-cant-decide.725825/#post-10235351
mini regs about 30$ amazon adaptors about 12$

this one :
Amazon.com
- needs no adaptor for 35 but then obviously wont fit the mini carts if you want to take it somewhere.

soda stream is 60 liters of co2 and much cheaper then the 74 gram bulbs.

cankeg.com has preassembled kits if you want but its more money
and they have great videos on minikegging in a fridge.
the sodastream canister is 35 dollars then you exchange them at hardware stores for 20 dollar refills. i use about 1 every ten weeks or so to carb and dispense about a gallon of beer a week.

kegging has completely changed homebrewing for me. just having co2 to purge and transfer and clean etc is a game changer.

"soda stream is 60 liters of co2 and much cheaper then the 74 gram bulbs."

Sorry, I know 16g and 74g but not their gas vols.

60L = ?g
?L = 74g

ok think i found it... 60l is 410g

so....
1g = 0.14634146341 L
16g ... 2.341 L
74g ... 10.829 L
410g ... 60 L

Making Sodastream 5.54x as large as the 74g bulbs, and 25.625 x the 16g bulbs.

Last edited:
and i think the 74 grams bulbs are like 12 $ at least so thats about 60$ for the same amount of co2 as a 20 $ sodastream

the guy over at cankeg did the co2 price comparison for you in a youtube vid

sodastream is not cheap by any means but cheaper then the little bulbs and definitely the most widely available co2 refill.

I bought a number of different mini regulators over the years starting cheap (always a bad idea) and then spending a little more each time for a better one. I use them for my two jockey boxes. Evetually, I bought a Kegland mini regulator:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/k...F5OfrZMYdNEO2OALQpMOkRxLz7AfITpoaAsLZEALw_wcBIn my opinion, this is the best mini regulator on the market for a number of reasons including (1) the compatibility with duotight and evabarrier connectors/lines and (2) the plunger that engages the CO2 tank/cartridge after it is installed. I use this primarily with sodastream bottles, but also have adaptors for paintball cannisters and CO2 cartridges. I highly recommend it.

@fluketamer , I love that picture. So much stuff with bottles, lines, fittings, etc. And all probably less than a 5 gallon keg! But you probably have like 3 or 4 different beers in there?

I love the two cans of soda- either for a non-beer-drinking-SWMBO, or non-beer friends!

thank you i am so proud it brings me so much joy .

i can fit 25 liters of beer in various kegs sizes at any one time and can have at least 4 beers on tap.

i actually have two minifridges so i can easily have 40 liters or so of 6 different beers on tap.

oh yeah and no holes drilled anywhere with the tap clamped on the inside door

some more pics
1699058944730.png

1699059144440.png

1699059367170.png

and these pet growlers really upped my game i can have essentially unlimited kegs for 5 bucks a piece.

with all the lines in there i have to get around to making a manifold of some sorts

Last edited:
Back