First Sour Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skepace

Reaction score
Making my first sour and looking to make a small one.

Has anyone used Lactobacillius as a primary yeast and then racked to secondary using another yeast?

yes. a friend and i did 4 batches of a Berliner Weiss. we made 3 home made starters by throwing some uncrushed grain in sugar water and letting that go for a week. we did 1 with a Wyeast lacto only smack pack. all were fermented for 2 weeks with just lacto and then we added german ale yeast and racked to secondary to finish.

overall they turned out well i think. i've never had a commercial version of a Berliner Weiss so i don't know what it is supposed to taste like, but these were pretty sour and refreshing on a hot day.

Thanks! Did you add the german yeast after you racked it to secondary or when the SG was low enough?

we racked to 2ndary, oxygenated, then added the ale yeast and let it ferment for another couple of weeks. we only took FG measurements to make sure it was done fermenting. No OG measurements that i can remember.

Making my second batch, first one was a fail.
Ended up with a grapefruit smell and plaster taste after 3 month of fermentation.
I did one bottle (champagne bottle) just for the fun of it to see if funkyness will evolve in 2-3 months. The way it was, It's not drinkable so I throw away my 1gal batch.
I think that using tap water and 15 min boil was a bad idea.

I am brewing my second batch at the moment.RO water this time with added ions. I have my own homemade lacto and a S-33 starter that I will add in 48h. I use S-33 cuz I had it in stock and never use it before.

I will leave it in primary for 2-3 months and skip secondary and bottle condition for another few months.

Still experimental for me. If I fail again I will try with WLP630

Back