Will adding sweet juice flavor to secondary ruin a sour beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
Brewed my first sour and I am pleased with the result but it needs more flavor. I plan to rack onto secondary with some hops and some fruit flavoring which is concentrated and sweet. Will this kill the sour taste or amplify it?

What yeast or other bugs are involved? If you kettle soured it, the acid production is done, your yeast is still active and the sugars in your fruit flavoring will all turn to ethanol. Ditto if you used hop-intolerant bacteria and then added hops to stop souring. If you are using acid-producing yeast (Sourvisiae, e.g.) then the sugar will be turned to both ethanol and lactic acid, so while you'll add sourness, the sweetness will all be gone.

If you fermented with yeast and soured by adding bacteria, you're working at a higher level than I function. Not sure the yeast will still be active to eat the sugars, not sure the bacteria will do it completely in a reasonable amount of time.

Another option to amp up the flavor is to freeze-concentrate the beer.

I used lactic acid after boil to reach desired ph, added goodbelly and soured to 3.7ph. Tastes sour now. I'm just wondering if I add hops and a concentrated fruit sweetener will it kill the sour taste? That is NOT what I want. I want it sour but with more color and flavor

Latest posts

Back