First Lagers - Questions of course...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
So, I have three lagers going. 2 of which are in a fermentation chamber... one is sitting in my kegerator.

They all have been at a steady 50degF - it'll be three weeks since pitch this coming Wednesday, 9/29.

I'm thinking of turning the temp down to lagering temps. How's my timing?

I'll drop it 5deg a day over 4 days...
Day 1 - 50
Day 2 - 45
Day 3 - 40
Day 4 - 35

From here... what am I looking for? How long should I let it sit? 1 month? 3 months? A week? I've read a conflicting things on lagering and times/temps... so I figure I'd put it out there to the experts...

I heard a good tip on these forums. For every .01 in your OG, lager for 1 week. So, if you've got a lager that's at 1.060 for a starting gravity, then leave it for 6 weeks at 35. Of course, the longer the better in my opinion. I usually shoot for 3-4 months.

@Suthrncomfrt1884 Sounds like a good rule of thumb. I'll look into using that...

@boo boo Not sure - haven't tested them yet for butter off-flavors. Is there any of definitive test besides opening it up and sampling?

Hummm.. this looks interesting. I can diacetyl rest by bring it to room temp(cellar temp) for 24-48 hours.

This works out pretty well - due to the fact I overestimated the space in my remote fermentation chamber in my parents basement.

Since 2 of the lagers aren't in my place, and 1 is... I can relocate the 1 here to my parents house and have all 3 lagers sit at room temp for 24-48 hours -- transfer the entire contents of the primary of one to a different containment unit I can fit in the fermentation chamber with the other two beers in primary.

This gets them all in the same fermentation chamber -- freeing up my kegerator for my brews that will be ready soon - and lets me drop them all at the same increments @ 5degF a day in sync.

This would work out well... unless someone sees some foolishness here.

Checking for diacetyl is a good idea. Typically when your lager fermentation is 75% to estimated terminal gravity, you can taste a hydrometer sample, and see if you get a buttery flavor. If so, you will need to raise the temp up to 65 or so for the remainder of the fermentation (diacetyl rest).

As far as lagering time, I have found that 3 months is usually appropriate for most lagers.

If you will give it a diacetyl rest, there is no reason to step down the temp slowly afterwards. Just make sure everything is done and the sample tastes ok, then just crash it.

Latest posts

Back