First lager Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
Im making my first lager..without a temperature controlled enviroment. I have two rooms ill be using.

Basement. Ambient temperature 60-65

Wine Cellar. 40-45

Can someone reccomend a yeast that is versatile and would do well in one or both of these rooms?

Is the wine cellar ok for both fermenting and lagering or just lagering?

Any advice is appreciate. and the temps will not be changing for at least 3 months.

You could try using one of the california lager yeasts which work at high temps, or a german ale (kolsch or Alt) that work at lower than normal ale temps, yet can provide some lager like characteristics.

I really dont think im down with the cali yeast. I want a nice cold lager.

If i wraped the demijohn in a blanket could that help get it a few degree closer?

I really dont think im down with the cali yeast. I want a nice cold lager.

If i wraped the demijohn in a blanket could that help get it a few degree closer?

You want to maintain a fermentation temperature of 50 degrees. I don't know how you can do that in either place without taking more measure than wrapping the fermenter.

You can try a water bath in a cooler with frozen water bottles, etc, but I don't think a blanket will do it.

I lager at 34 degrees for about 8-10 weeks. Your cellar temperatures are a bit too warm for lagering.

I must have misinterpeted the temperatures when i was looking at the yeast samples online, it seemed I was close.

Guess i got too excited about making a lager.

boo

I'm doing a oktoberfest lager by BB right now. It was recommended to go between 53-59 degrees. I have mine in the heated garage at 54-55 Can also ferment at ale temps with this yeast

You want to maintain a fermentation temperature of 50 degrees. I don't know how you can do that in either place without taking more measure than wrapping the fermenter.

You can try a water bath in a cooler with frozen water bottles, etc, but I don't think a blanket will do it.

I lager at 34 degrees for about 8-10 weeks. Your cellar temperatures are a bit too warm for lagering.

8-10 weeks? Wow. Do you make sure to top off the carboy so there is very little air up top? Just curious because I am reaching this step soon and would worry about oxidation if there was too much space

I must have misinterpeted the temperatures when i was looking at the yeast samples online, it seemed I was close.

Guess i got too excited about making a lager.

boo

Well, we all don't work for White Labs or Wyeast, so if you find a strain that works for you don't be discouraged! I've done many lagers, and never found one that will ferment below 48 (even though the company said 46, it stalled at below 48) or above 53ish. Now, it'll ferment just fine above 55 or so, but it won't taste like a lager, using a traditional lager strain.

As was mentioned you could use a California lager yeast (the San Fran strain), and have a lager-like beer at 62 degrees. But it won't be a true lager.

Another key is the lagering phase- the colder the better in that case. I like to lager at 34 degrees. You can do it warmer but it's less "smooth" in that case.

Are California lagers, steam beers, if so I dont think I like those.

My high ambitions were some sort of Heini Lager, German.

I only mentioned white labs and the other brand because that is all i have available in toronto somehow.

Thanks for the information as always.

Back