Making my own BIAB recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cztrollolcz

Reaction score
Hello there,
I am pretty new to brewing and have tried a few kits (which used extracts), but wanted to move on and try making something thats my own and fits my style a bit better - I am going for a czech lager, but more on the bitter side and with higher abv than is "usual" (just for the record - I am czech and yes I do have a place thats currently holding a room temp of around 12-15 C). Also I am going for a smaller batch - so I can do it on my stovetop. Does this recipe make any sense or is something wrong with it, which I should change? I have attached a beersmith file.
And just to make sure I am reading what its saying correctly:
1) I bring 15.54 L of water to 72.6 C and add my grains in the bag
2) I let it steep for 60 mins at about 69 C (because of the temp drop from adding the grains)
3) I pull the bag out, squeeze it (carefully) and bring it to a boil, where I add my first hops (Premiant) and my sugar
4) After 40mins of boiling Ill add the second hops (Kazbek) and boil for another 20 mins

After that I cool down as fast as possible to about 10-18 C, add in my 2 packages of yeast and let it ferment...

Thanks for all your help

Attachments

• Letovan.bsmx
    24.8 KB · Views: 0
I can't see the recipe, but as far as the steps you have listed, the only thing that seems odd to me is the temperatures. My C to F conversion is sketchy at best, but 69C seems warm. I would want a Czech lager to finish quite low, so I would probably mash around 148-150F, which is around 65C I think? I mash pale lagers low and slow.
The amount that the grain will drop your mash temperature is going to depend on what temperature your grain is. If its your first all grain attempt, it might be a bit of a crapshoot. When I mash in, it drops my temp about 8-9F degrees in the winter ( I brew in an unheated basement ), and about 5F in the summer.

If it were me, I would mash in at about 70C (~158F). Temp drop would probably put you in the 152ish range, which I feel is better than mashing as high as 156. And after a few good stirs and breaking up any dough balls, it might be a F degree or two lower than that.

Have you looked at some other Czech Lager recipes to see what they do? I've never heard of one. But in the googling I've come up with this description...

Overall Impression
A rich, dark, malty Czech lager with a roast character that can vary from almost absent to quite prominent. Malty with an interesting and complex flavor profile, with variable levels of hopping providing a range of possible interpretations.

Appearance
Dark copper to almost black color, often with a red or garnet tint. Clear to bright clarity. Large, off-white to tan, persistent head.
Beer Judge Certification Program

I didn't look for recipes, but it might be that this beer is mashed at a higher temp than what many of us would do.

You ought to convert or export your beersmith recipe into something that we all can see.

i couldn't see the recipe. it is hard to maintain a specific mash temperature on the stove top. If you have something to insulate the pot during the mash, it would help.

Hello there,
I am pretty new to brewing and have tried a few kits (which used extracts), but wanted to move on and try making something thats my own and fits my style a bit better - I am going for a czech lager, but more on the bitter side and with higher abv than is "usual" (just for the record - I am czech and yes I do have a place thats currently holding a room temp of around 12-15 C). Also I am going for a smaller batch - so I can do it on my stovetop. Does this recipe make any sense or is something wrong with it, which I should change? I have attached a beersmith file.
And just to make sure I am reading what its saying correctly:
1) I bring 15.54 L of water to 72.6 C and add my grains in the bag
2) I let it steep for 60 mins at about 69 C (because of the temp drop from adding the grains)
3) I pull the bag out, squeeze it (carefully) and bring it to a boil, where I add my first hops (Premiant) and my sugar
4) After 40mins of boiling Ill add the second hops (Kazbek) and boil for another 20 mins

After that I cool down as fast as possible to about 10-18 C, add in my 2 packages of yeast and let it ferment...

Thanks for all your help
First make sure your stove can boil that much water.

I can't read the recipe either. I think you're starting a little too hot. Maybe start with 69° or 70°C water so it drops to about 65°. Put a lid on the pot and it will maintain that temperature pretty well for an hour.

What sugar are you adding at the beginning of the boil?? Turn off the heat when you add the sugar until you get it dissolved so it doesn't burn on the bottom. Then you can turn the fire back on.

Latest posts

Back