First Keg Filled Carb Tips Requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teaman

Reaction score
:ban: Pumped about finishing the keezer and have put my first corny in :ban:

Need a starter tip from the pros. Have read up and am using the color coded carbing chart posted by people on the forum. My brew is a porter and I'd like 2.0 -2.10ish of carbing which says around 7 - 8 psi at 38-40 degrees.
I want to just go somewhat of the basic route, set and wait a few days on the pressure as opposed to shaking the crap out of it. Looking for recommendations. I am thinkig about setting at about 15psi for a day or two and then bringing down to 8psi.
Or will it carb fine if I just set it at 8psi and leave it. I was thinking it will take forever at that initial pressure??? Don't know yet.
Any suggestions?

THANKS

You'll need a lot more than a couple days. Sorry.
It takes about 2 weeks to carb any beer at serving pressure. This is normal, and good.

You can do all kinds of things to speed that up. Including cranking the pressure (with or without shaking). However - Carbing a beer faster will not make your beer better. Worse, actually, because the beer is still green! And if you over-shoot your carb, it's a pain in the a$$ to get it back down!

Green beer tastes bad - Or at the least not as good as it will in 2, 4, 6 weeks. If you carb your beer 2 days out of primary, you'll have carbonated strange tasting beer.
If you set for 8 PSI and wait 2-3 weeks, you will be very pleasantly surprised at what comes out of your taps! :tank:

I know it's tempting to speed things up when you start kegging "To get your homebrew on tap! Damnit!"
And I was impatient too... It was OK beer. It was a LOT better after a few weeks though.

The key is the pipeline - Make more beer!
If you have beer on tap, set and forget is not so bad. Of course that's a lot easier to say (And do!) after the new wears off having homebrew on tap!

Back