Cold Crash / Force Carb Temp and Pressure Vs Serving Temp andPressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey22

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just purchased a Spike 10gal Unitank and will be fermenting and carbing my beers in it. I haad a few questions on how to do this. Going to pick an extreme example because I will be brewing a belgian dark quad soon.

I am wanting to aim for 3.1 volume of CO2. The spike unitank supports max 15psi so my thoughts are:

1. Cold Crash to 33F
2. Increase pressure of co2 regulator to ~19 in order to get a tank pressure of 14, using EQU chart.
QUESTION: Do I leave the Co2 tank open at the equilibrium pressure?

3. Pressure transfer by setting keg to ~12 PSI and leaving tank at 14psi

4. Serving temp for the Belgian quad is ~45F, but I still want 3.1 volumes, set my kegerator to 45F
QUESTION: Using equi chart, I now want my keg to be set to 25PSI, is that accurate?
I have flow control so this shouldn't be an issue.. maybe.

Thanks!

I am wanting to aim for 3.1 volume of CO2. The spike unitank supports max 15psi so my thoughts are:

1. Cold Crash to 33F
2. Increase pressure of co2 regulator to ~19 in order to get a tank pressure of 14, using EQU chart.

To get 3.1 Volumes of CO2 at equilibrium at 33F, you need to apply and maintain ~14.5 PSIG. I don't know what chart is telling you that you need 19 PSI to get 14 PSI, but that's not true.

QUESTION: Do I leave the Co2 tank open at the equilibrium pressure?

Yes, at least until the beer is fully carbonated. After that, assuming no leaks, you could take it off the gas until you need to transfer it.

4. Serving temp for the Belgian quad is ~45F, but I still want 3.1 volumes, set my kegerator to 45F
QUESTION: Using equi chart, I now want my keg to be set to 25PSI, is that accurate?
I have flow control so this shouldn't be an issue.. maybe.

I wouldn't recommend storing at 45F. Lower is better for shelf life. But assuming 45F, you'll need to maintain about 21.9 PSIG to keep 3.1 volumes of CO2. Flow control faucets are nice. I use them. But a beer line of the appropriate length to balance is even better.

To get 3.1 Volumes of CO2 at equilibrium at 33F, you need to apply and maintain ~14.5 PSIG. I don't know what chart is telling you that you need 19 PSI to get 14 PSI, but that's not true.
I am including wetting pressure, but yes 14.5PSIG on the tank. I would assume the regulator will read something like 19.
Yes, at least until the beer is fully carbonated. After that, assuming no leaks, you could take it off the gas until you need to transfer it.
Got it!
I wouldn't recommend storing at 45F. Lower is better for shelf life. But assuming 45F, you'll need to maintain about 21.9 PSIG to keep 3.1 volumes of CO2. Flow control faucets are nice. I use them. But a beer line of the approriate length to balance is even better.
Just getting caught up on "serving temp" but looks like it's the correct mindset at least. I drank my last Belgian quad out of the bottle at ~35F and just let it warm up in the glass. I assume it's about the same thing as just serving it from the tap at 45.

Thank you for your answers!

I am including wetting pressure, but yes 14.5PSIG on the tank. I would assume the regulator will read something like 19.

Wetting pressure... are you using a carbonation stone or something like that?

If not, set the regulator so that it reads 14.5 PSIG, and there will be 14.5 PSIG pressure in the keg's headspace, which is what you need.

Wetting pressure... are you using a carbonation stone or something like that?

If not, set the regulator so that it reads 14.5 PSIG, and there will be 14.5 PSIG pressure in the keg's headspace, which is what you need.
Yes, I will be using the carb stone. I assume i'd leave it hooked up. Or would I remove it, then apply head pressure for a few days?

Yes, I will be using the carb stone. I assume i'd leave it hooked up. Or would I remove it, then apply head pressure for a few days?

Once it's fully carbonated, you could leave it hooked up (i.e. on), or remove the stone and switch to head pressure, or just remove the stone. It's effectively all the same (assuming no leaks). If you leave it on gas after reaching equlibrium, the net flow of CO2 is zero.

Once it's fully carbonated, you could leave it hooked up (i.e. on), or remove the stone and switch to head pressure, or just remove the stone. It's effectively all the same (assuming no leaks). If you leave it on gas after reaching equlibrium, the net flow of CO2 is zero.
Thank you again!

Back