Did I over carb my keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPLEN

Reaction score
I meant to do the initial force carbing in the keg for 3 days at 20 psi at 38 degrees. Unfortunately, I had an emergency that forced me away for a few days. It sat at 20 psi for 5 days. Do you think it may be over carbed now? Last time I carbed (my first time) I did the 20 psi for 3 days and then dropped it down to 13 psi and it still took another 10 days or so to get fully carbonated. So, I am hoping all is fine. What do you think?

So here's another question. What is going on with this pour. I force carbonated 1 week approx 10 psi. Have bled keg repeatedly and turned regulator up to 10 psi for dispensing. Still too foamy like a milk shake.
20221205_182304.jpg

So here's another question. What is going on with this pour. I force carbonated 1 week approx 10 psi. Have bled keg repeatedly and turned regulator up to 10 psi for dispensing. Still too foamy like a milk shake.

You didn't mention what temperature, but one thing that leaps to mind is that you have no line resistance, because you have no beer line. How fast is the beer pouring, and what happens if you back the pressure down when pouring?

Also, you're not trying to "help" by only partially opening the faucet, right?

@KPLEN I would guess you'll be a little over carbed but probably not by much. I do 20psi as well and have had things come up and it stayed there longer then planned. Purge the keg a few times, maybe set your regulator at 8psi for a little til it balances out.

Ok. Sounds good. Speed does not seem to matter, wide open or limited. Previously, the keg worked fine with other brew. Can't figure it out systematically. Temperature is basic 38 degrees.

Latest posts

Back