First brew mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Towndrunk

Reaction score
I was so excited to brew by first batch of beer that I didn't take the time to do my homework completely. I didn't take the time to take a gravity reading before I pitched my yeast and started fermention. The recipe calls for 2 weeks in the fermentor before bottleing. Friday will be 2 weeks. I took a gravity reading today and it was 1.021. I tasted a bit and it tastes like an IPA. I think I did everything properly besides not taking initial gravity. I know I don't want to bottle until the gravity stops dropping but I guess I will have no idea what the ABV is. Is 1.021 a close gravity to a completed IPA?

Congrats on your first brew! Sounds like everything is coming along nicely. If this was an extract brew, 1.021 might be finished or close to finished. There's no hurry to bottle, you can leave it in the fermenter for weeks, so use patience, wait another week and take another gravity reading and see where you are.

As for your starting or original gravity, if this was an extract brew, then you can estimate the starting gravity pretty closely if you have the recipe and volume. If not, no harm, no foul.

Back