First brew bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nexus555

Reaction score
Well, Saturday I bottled my brown ale!! Final alcohol content was 5.4%! Overall, bottling was a piece of cake. I had a friend and my father helping out, so it wasn't bad at all. There were a few minor problems. One was I boiled the priming sugar solution a little late, and had to cool it before putting in bottling bucket. The only other problem was we were a little confused about the bottle filler. We finally figured out you have to actually press it down to get it to flow :)

So now it's waiting time. I'm a little bit worried, because 2-3 times during my fermentation (and already bottling) my air conditioner has kicked off and didn't come back on. I seriously doubt the temperatures exceeded 80 F, however I do not know for sure. Also, I doubt the air was off longer than 3-4 hours each occurence. I bought a thermostat for my spare frig, it should be in tomorrow, and I won't have to worry about the 3 remainding weeks.

When we tasted the beer during the hydrometer reading before bottling, it had no fruity/ester taste. It actually tasted like a decent flat and warm brown ale. Do you think this one occurence of the air going off during conditioning may effect the taste? Like I said, it may not have reached 80 degrees.

Well overall it was a pretty fun experience. Going to be ordering some more ingridients this week, and might even get a cider going at the same time. Just need a new primary :p

Sounds good! I wouldn't worry about the temps as it takes 5 gallons of liquid quite some time to change temperature.

Yeah I'm thinking it should be fine. Another question though. I came out around 9 bottles shy. Is this normal?

Overall I took 3 hydrometer readings, may have left 1 beer (could be 2 not sure) in the secondary because there was a decent size yeast cake on the bottom, and spilled a little bit. I guess between all of those things, and maybe evaporation during the boil, etc. Just wondering if anyone else ever comes up this short..

I do once in a while, don't sweat it. It's a product of all the things you mentioned. Maybe top off with a little more water next time.
Good going

:rockin:

Back