First batch- think I screwed up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cecil1975

Reaction score
I just made my first batch of beer and think I did something wrong. I had gotten a Fat Tire clone, followed all the directions pretty much to the letter but didn't really aerate it too well. Being I'm too impatient to read the books I bought, I jumped right in and didn't realize I was supposed to aerate before transferring to the bucket for the first stage of fermentation, however, I first strained the wort into a smaller pot before pouring it in the bucket, (only because my strainer was too small to fit over the bucket). I'm not sure if that was enough.
Now it's been about 72 hours and Im seeing small bubbles in the airlock, but it's not what I expected. Am I just being too impatient or am I in trouble?
Thanks

I assume you did an extract brew?

Pouring the wort from one pot to the other and then pouring into the fermenting bucket should be good enough. I usually like to top off and then shake the bucket before pitching the yeast and then I shake it a little more after I put in the yeast to mix it up a little.

I never aerated my first few brews and they came out fine. Sit back and don't worry!

Thanks! I jut thought I'd see the airlock going crazy at this point, but I'll try to stop obsessing about it.

Don't forget that if you have a plastic bucket, a poor lid seal could be leaking CO2 causing the airlock to be quiet even if fermentation is going fine. This is not a cause for concern, just another reason carboys are awesome.

RDWHAHB

Latest posts

Back