first batch taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerzyjoe

Reaction score
Firts off thanks for all your help on my previous post. I finaly got around to botteling and took a taste sample. The taste was a little weak, still tasted like beer, but didn't have a very strong taste. Will the taste come out a little more in the bottles? Either way im sure itill still be great. Also, how long should I wait before I sample the first brew? thanks for the help

Post your recipe so we can help you better as far as taste.

I taste one per week. By week three they are well carbed. 2 months into it they taste best.

You have to start making enough batches so every week you have one to taste, 3 to enjoy :D

Have Fun! Congrats on your first batch bottled!

Give it time, definitely. They will taste better carbed up too because you will be able to pull a lot more of the aroma out through the carbonation.

Cheers

also, the way carbonation tickles your tongue will add flavor and mouthfeel to the beer, as well as the aromatics wop31 mentions.

do post the recipe. if you went with something like a cheap Cooper's Extract kit and used a pound of corn sugar for extra fermentable sugar, its going to have less body than you might expect.

any recipe calling for sugar (except a couple ounces at bottling time) should be adjusted to use LME or DME in place of the sugar, so you get the same alcohol, but more malt flavor and body.

heres the recipe:

Trew Brew Kit- Nut Brown Ale

1 can hopped light malt extract
1 lb light dried malt extract
1 lb amber dried marlt extract
1 lb special drk brown sugar
Grains: chocolate, dark crystal & roasted barley
1 oz hop pellets
1 pack priming sugar
5 oz priming sugar at bottling

Again thanks for the help:mug:

What size was the can of LME? If it was a soup can, seems a little on the light side. I shot for 6 pounds of DME for a regular beer. Looks like about a pound or so light......being that it was LMe not DME. The great thing is that if you like the flavor, next time add a little more *ME and you can play and adjust. If you like nut browns and not this one...we got a million recipes tried and true that are not out of a kit----prolly cheaper, too! You definitely need to wait a couple more weeks before judgement day, though.

Back