Fermenting wort tastes like syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer 12

Reaction score
I've got an American Amber ale fermenting. So far the temperature has been stable (19-20 degrees Celcius). However, I just took a sample and it tastes like syrup. After taking the sample I dry hopped with 20 grams of cascade and there is Krausen so I'm guessing that the present flavour profile is due to the wort still fermenting? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Welcome to the forums, @homebrewer 12 :mug:

Can you provide a bit of chronology - how long ago did you pitch your yeast, what was the original gravity of this wort, and anything else that might seem pertinent?

Cheers!

Welcome to the forums, @homebrewer 12 :mug:

Can you provide a bit of chronology - how long ago did you pitch your yeast, what was the original gravity of this wort, and anything else that might seem pertinent?

Cheers!
Hi!
Yeast: US-05 (pitched 15th of this month)
OG: 1045 (still needs a few days to drop to FG)
Mash: 67 degrees Celcius for 60 minutes, Mash out 72 degrees Celcius 10 minutes.
Afterwards I added the difference in water 76 - 78 degrees Celcius.
Hop schedule: Magnum 0 minutes
Cascade 15 minutes
Irish Moss 50 minutes
Amarillo 60 minutes
Whirlpool 15 minutes
DH: 20 grams Cascade (an hour ago approx)
Cheers!

72°C is actualy not mashing out, it is α-amylases , if you want to mash out and stop the reaction you need 5min at 78°C

OG: 1045 (still needs a few days to drop to FG)
When did you measure the "OG?" On the 15th, after the boil, of the chilled wort going into the fermenter?
I'm surprised you find it tasting overpowering sweet. 1.045 wort doesn't scream syrup to me.

BTW, dry hopping is usually done after fermentation has completed.

After taking the sample I dry hopped with 20 grams of cascade and there is Krausen
When adding dry hops to a fermented batch you're adding nucleation sites, to which dissolved CO2 clings to, causing bubbles that are large enough to rise. That's what's causing the foaming. It's not the same as krausen, which occurs during active fermentation.

This looks like it might be reversed? Was the magnum added first?
I was looking at that hop line-up too. ;)
The OP may be a new brewer, not aware of brewers' customary countdown.

I reckon he's listing the times he added them from when the boil started (instead of from when it finished).

Latest posts

Back