fining the mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xplazma

Reaction score
so i have never used any chemicals to stop a fermentation or to clarify it but I'm upgrading from 4x6.5gl carboys to a 1x41gl(1bbl) chronical and want to be able to speed up the process from what I'm reading is that potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate can just be tossed in but bentonite and sparkolloid both need water added to it is their by any chance that i can add bentonite and sparkolloid with out adding water to it so it doesn't dilute the mead

If using bentonite post ferment you hydrate it in boiling water and wait for it to swell up before adding it to the must. The clay absorbs all the water, you won't be diluting your mead. I think Sparkolloid works the same, but I can't say for sure (never used it).

Bentonite is better if you use it dry during primary. Sprinkle it on top of the must a couple days after the ferment is going strong.

I usually use bentonite in the later half of primary, works out pretty well but the last few batches Ive been putting it in secondary to see what the difference was and you have to stir a lot in secondary to get the same effect as putting it in primary

If you have the time, adding K-meta and sorbate will work alot faster if you put the mead in a fridge at about 38-40 degrees and let it sit. The cold forces the sediment to settle alot faster and you can clear your Mead just as nicely without using a clearing agent. Cold temps is also useful for stopping OR extreme slowing of fermentation if you're getting close to your goal finishing gravity.

i'v only been doing a primary fermentation i been doing 4.125-5lb/gl so when the yeast hits it max of 16% its still sweat enough for me, but I'm wanting to start ageing it for longer periods of time so i cant just go over each bottle every 2-3 weeks to release the pressure that builds up so I'm going to kill and prevent further fermentation with potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate, then go through the fining of removing the yeast with bentonite followed by sparkolloid to make it much clearer before bottling so i can drink some now and age the rest at-least that's the plan, I'm just not to happy with having to add more water for the fining because i feel like its going to dilute it

i'v only been doing a primary fermentation i been doing 4.125-5lb/gl so when the yeast hits it max of 16% its still sweat enough for me, but I'm wanting to start ageing it for longer periods of time so i cant just go over each bottle every 2-3 weeks to release the pressure that builds up so I'm going to kill and prevent further fermentation with potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate, then go through the fining of removing the yeast with bentonite followed by sparkolloid to make it much clearer before bottling so i can drink some now and age the rest at-least that's the plan, I'm just not to happy with having to add more water for the fining because i feel like its going to dilute it
Adding k-meta and k-sorbate is a must even if you've reached your desired gravity. If you are bottling I wouldn't think of nothing adding it as a precaution, there is really no way to truly know if fermentation has completely stopped without that. The nice thing is once you've added that and the yeast is killed it helps drop out the sediment in the mead, if you could crash it after adding your yeast killing agents it speeds up that process of sediment dropping out by quite a bit. If you use a slightly lower ABV like around 14% and finish with a gravity of around 1.02 YoY can ferment a gallon of Mead and finish it ready for aging in about two weeks, roughly the same for 5 gallon batches and well.

If you have the time, adding K-meta and sorbate will work alot faster if you put the mead in a fridge at about 38-40 degrees and let it sit. The cold forces the sediment to settle alot faster and you can clear your Mead just as nicely without using a clearing agent. Cold temps is also useful for stopping OR extreme slowing of fermentation if you're getting close to your goal finishing gravity.
In his OP he says he's upgrading to a 41 gallon chronical, so using his fridge isn't an option.

Back