Filtering apple juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello fellow cider makers.

Does anyone know an easy effective way to filter cloudy home pressed apple juice? In a few months I will start kegging and bottling my ciders from last fall. I usually like to back sweeten to about 1.006(ish) with fajc.

However, I have several gallons of frozen home pressed apple juice from last fall that I would like to use. As you can imagine it's very cloudy with lots of apple bits. The juice is from several varieties of sharps and bitters.

Admittedly, I am a sucker for sparkling clear cider. I'd hate to cloudy up ciders that have been clearing for six months.
I'm considering getting a plate filter and placing it between two kegs but I'm worried that the fresh juice would clog it up too quickly.

Once I can filter juice, I can also freeze concentrate it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

You're right in that a plate filter would clog instantly. You might want to strain it through cheese cloth just to get the big stuff out. After that I'm pretty sure that pectic enzyme would get the haze to drop out, even if you're not fermenting the juice.

Thanks Maylar,
I think that’s my only choice. I’m hoping the plate filter won’t clog too fast after I filter with cheese cloth.

Do the cheese cloth, then use a large stain or with a coffee filter in it. As it slows use a teaspoon to scrape gently back and forth to clear the path. Time and patience will result in very little left in your juice. I have had to use multiple filters on various brews. Cold crash it afterward and the fine particulate should drop to the bottom.

Do the cheese cloth, then use a large stain or with a coffee filter in it. As it slows use a teaspoon to scrape gently back and forth to clear the path. Time and patience will result in very little left in your juice. I have had to use multiple filters on various brews. Cold crash it afterward and the fine particulate should drop to the bottom.
Are you talking about one of these?
upload_2020-3-11_15-11-34.jpeg

Latest posts

Back