Fermwrap - taped direct - uncontrolled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judochop

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any experience using the Fermwrap straight up - no temp control, taped to the side of a carboy, in a room temp (~64F) environment.

And then, what if I cover the carboy with a shirt? What kind of bump could I expect?

[Background/anecdotal details: I have a couple Saisons that had to come out of my temp-controlled fermentation chamber to make room for an upcoming Kolsch. I have them both fermwrapped in my downstairs family room, which runs around 64 degrees. I'm hoping with the fermwrap they'll stay in the mid 80's where I previously had them set. Up to 90 would be fine too. It's not easy to tell though, cause my tape thermometer only goes to 82.]

The manufacturer comment says it can raise beer from 5-20 degrees. I figure "20" means direct contact, which would be perfect for my situation. 64+20=84.

How old is the brew? Is the critical period over with at this point?

If it is past peak fermentation, might not make that much difference to just let it sit at room temp?

It'll be 3 weeks tomorrow, so the critical period is well over, but it's Wyeast's Belgian Saison strain so I want to keep it cooking.

It'll be 3 weeks tomorrow, so the critical period is well over, but it's Wyeast's Belgian Saison strain so I want to keep it cooking.

At 3 weeks I think you are cooked, and the flavor of the beer is set....IMO time to cold crash or keg rather than keep warm, but I'm no saison expert by any means. Afaik, after peak fermentation, or say 5-7 days most beers are done fermenting and the flavor is determined.

Well, if it's done, it's done, little point in prolonging the inevitable, package it!

But if FG is still higher than aimed for a little rousing and heating can bring it down a few. Sometimes aided with a small amount of simple sugars.

Back