Fermenting W-34/70 at Top of Temp. Range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipper74

Reaction score
I am deciding what to brew this weekend for my inaugural conical batch. I would really like to brew a Schwartzbier using W-34/70. Unfortunately, I do not have temperature control, so I am at the mercy of my ambient basement temperature. I likely will be able to keep fermentation temps below 60F, but not by much. The package directions list an ideal fermentation temperature of 50-59F, but it seems that most people ferment at the bottom of that range. Does anyone have experience fermenting W-34/70 at 59F or 60 degrees?

For what it is worth, I went ahead and brewed a Schwarzbier using this yeast. It fermented at my basement ambient temperature, which was about 56 degrees F, so the wort probably ended up close to 60 during the heat of fermentation. Due to my lack of temperature control and inability to move the conical to a warmer area, I did not perform a D-rest. When I tasted the hydro sample three weeks later, neither I nor my wife could taste any buttery or other off flavors. I now have the beer kegged and lagering in my bulkhead, which is hovering just above 32 degrees F. In a few weeks I will tap it and see whether the experiment was successful.

I've brewed with Wy2124, which is the same strain as 34/70, at ale temps. It works great. It's the yeast that New Belgium supposedly uses for 1554 (which I recently saw they are calling it a black lager now instead of an Enlightened Black Ale). It's a very versatile yeast.

Yeah, so far I have been very pleased with it. Last night, I sampled the Oktoberfest that I made with the washed 34/70 and, again, no trace of any off flavors. The real test will be with the Munich Helles I am brewing next, as I imagine that there will be no place for any diacetyl to hide if it is there.

Well, regardless of the style, you'd get diacetyl. What you will taste more of is esters from the higher fermentation temperature.

Back