Fermenting help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokenjoke

Reaction score
I have an american wheat fermenting in a temp controlled fridge. It's a small fridge so I can only ferment one at a time. I plan on letting it stay in the primary for 3 weeks before bottling. Do I have to leave it at low temp the whole time or can I take it out, say after 2 weeks and let it finish at basement temp (around 72f)? I'm only asking because I want to start an American Lager but will need the fridge to do so. Patience is not one of my virtues but I am trying.:(
Should I leave what I have going, alone?

Thanks.

Temp control really is only crucial during the first few days of active fermentation, that's when the stressed yeast would be prone to produce off flavors. So yes, in two weeks or so, if fermentation is complete, you can move it out of the temp control. In fact letting it warm up is one of the ways to ensure diacetyl is cleaned up in ales.

I was talking to a guy that has brewed beer for some time. He told me that wheat beer is best young and to bottle after 2 weeks. I'm asking the brewers here because I feel confident of getting the right answer. Should I wait 3 weeks like I planned on doing or do as he says? It has been in the cooler for 7 days. The bubbles in the airlock have stopped after 5 days. The temp is still at 65F. I haven't checked the gravity. I thought I'd do that closer to bottling time.

He's going by outdated info. Look at the thousands of threads here about long primary/no secondary. There's at least 3 going on in the beginner's section everyday.

Thanks Revvy. I didn't feel comfortable with his suggestion. I'll stick to your original advice.

Back