Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrKats

Reaction score
Question, I have a Vienna Lager in the fermenter now. After a couple weeks fermenting, then a few days rest at room temp., can then keg the beer and lager it in the keg? Or should it stay in the fermenter the entire time?

Lager in the keg with gas attached at your serving pressure if you have the ability. It will be carbonated and ready to drink when you think it’s had enough time.

Lager in the keg with gas attached at your serving pressure if you have the ability. It will be carbonated and ready to drink when you think it’s had enough time.
So lagering in the keg is ok and I can even carbonate as it’s lagering?

Yes… kill two birds with one stone.
Just do your best to avoid extra oxygen exposure and try to get the least amount of sediment into the keg as you can when you transfer.

As Camonick says lagering and carbonating in keg is fine. However, if you can, after fermentation and diacetyl rest (which I assume you mean by at room temp", you would be a little better off if you cold crash in fermenter before kegging. Cold crash (drop fermenter temp 5-6 degrees every 12 hours until in low 30's), will drop any stubborn yeast and proteins and stuff to the bottom, so that when you transfer to the keg you will have less sludge in the bottom of the keg.

As Camonick says lagering and carbonating in keg is fine. However, if you can, after fermentation and diacetyl rest (which I assume you mean by at room temp", you would be a little better off if you cold crash in fermenter before kegging. Cold crash (drop fermenter temp 5-6 degrees every 12 hours until in low 30's), will drop any stubborn yeast and proteins and stuff to the bottom, so that when you transfer to the keg you will have less sludge in the bottom of the keg.
Ok, I can do that.

Latest posts

Back