Fermenting a Steam beer with w34/70

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincybrewer

Reaction score
Does anyone know the proper fermentation procedures for fermenting a steam beer with w34/70? I have a fermentation chamber so I can ferment it at whatever is necessary but after researching I couldn't find anything on how to ferment a steam beer with this yeast. Any help would be appreciated.

I have no experience with that strain, but here's what I found from someone else:

"Used this in a Cali Common fermented at around 65-70* for a week then dropped the temp to between 55-60* for two, finally to 45 for three weeks. The beer turned out very well. At racking it was god awful and I thought I may have screwed the pooch using this yeast at such warm temperatures, but time seems to fix all. It certainly creates a good "steam" beer."

I did see some others say that they fermented their steam beers closer to 60-62F, but the above procedure seemed to work for this guy so I'd go with that. In the past I did Cali Commons in the high 60s. All mine smelled really awful while fermenting but turned out great, so don't let that discourage you.

Thanks for the info. That's an interesting fermentation schedule. I've tried to research steam beers and I haven't found a common theme on the exact fermentation schedules like I have for some beers like a Kolsch and an Altbier.

Right now it is set at 60 so maybe I'll just keep it at that for the first couple weeks and raise it up as it nears completion.

Back