Fermenting a hef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veritas524

Reaction score
Doing my first hef and I'm curious as to how long everyone thinks I should leave it... I normally do 3-4 weeks so the yeasties can clean up and what not, but should I curtail the fermentation as some of the desired flavors come from by products?

I often go 14 days with temp control to keg, as I ferment in the low 60s. Can sure be kegged or bottled sooner if you are observant through the process.

Last hefe I did was only two weeks before bottling. Turned out pretty good. More time wouldn't hurt anything, it would just get a bit clearer.

I did about 10 days in the primary, seemed just fine. OBTW it was one of the most FURIOUS fermentation I have ever seen. I am still cleaning up the closet:D

I did about 10 days in the primary, seemed just fine. OBTW it was one of the most FURIOUS fermentation I have ever seen. I am still cleaning up the closet:D

Yeah, my blow off tube has all sorts of lovelies in it right now. Pitched about 20 hours ago, woke up about seven hours ago and already had an inch of krausen... It's now spilling out into a bucket filled with sanitizer :D

Yeah, my blow off tube has all sorts of lovelies in it right now. Pitched about 20 hours ago, woke up about seven hours ago and already had an inch of krausen... It's now spilling out into a bucket filled with sanitizer :D
Well you were smart enough to use a blow-off tube. I had an airlock in, it clogged and off went the bomb:rockin:. It turned out to be a really good beer though. Then I pitched a second batch on the cake and all hell broke loose, but at least I had a BO tube in place for that one:D That was the one and only time I witnessed an instantaneous fermentation. lots oh fun this little hobby we have....

I learned my lesson my last batch, I pitched and then went to a buddy's house to watch UFC. When I came home I had crap spewing out my airlock.

Back