fermentation times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Typical for me is 12 days primary/ 2 days cold crash is same vessel/ rack to keg and force carb for 24 hours/ drink that b***h.....

7-12 days primary / 7 days in the secondary / cold crash / bottle condition for 4 weeks or keg and force carbonate and drink 24 hrs later

Psht...10 days in primary, 2 days in the keg. Drinking it in less than 2 weeks.

I'm impatient as crap, though and generally pick brews that don't need long conditioning.

Stouts/porters/high gravity beers really do better with age, but if you ferment clean you could go grain to glass in less than a week if you brewed a low enough gravity beer.

There really are no rules when it comes to brewing...keep that in mind.

Unless you have a specific reason (like adding fruit) for racking to secondary, then don't. The beer should stay in primary at least until the SG is stable for three days. The yeast will decide when the beer is done, not the calendar. You can dry hop in primary, cold crash in primary, gelatin fine in primary (all after you have a stable SG.)

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
3-4 weeks primary to finish fermenting and "clearing", sometimes 1 week cold crashing IN PRIMARY and 3 weeks to bottle carb. No need to rush your brewing unless you are dying of thirst. LOL

Just did a stout and from grain to glass was 17 days and five days in the keg. But work quite a bit and now I'm enjoying the fruits of my labor. Now enjoying my peanut butter chocolate stout.

If you have decent temperature control and use it to get the optimum temperature for fermentation, your beer will be done fermenting by about day 5 and the yeast only need another day or 2 to complete the cleanup. That will get you beer that is so loaded with yeast that hasn't settled that it won't taste particularly good so give it time to settle. I'm in between being patient and impatient so I let my beer sit in the primary for 3 to 4 weeks before I bottle. That lets more yeast settle out and the beer tastes better. I also get a lot less yeast trub in the bottles. I left one beer in the primary for 9 weeks and much more yeast settled but I don't have the patience for that most batches.

Back