Fermentation Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnySide

Reaction score
Hi. I'm planning to buy brewing equipments and I'm not sure if it's feasible to start a business. Using mini brew equipments like filter and bbt, how long do I need to ferment (primary and secondary) and condition my beer? Trying to brew Heineken-like beer.

I've read it's not feasible to start a business unless you brew at 1 bbl+ at a time (but others have more insight on this).

As for lagers, which take more time compared ales, ferment between 3 - 4 weeks.

I'll be honest here. And keep in mind I don't want to squash your interest in brewing or starting a business, but what you propose is practically impossible (Or possibly impractical!)

First off, it sounds like you need to read a LOT more on how to brew. Heineken is an extremely difficult style of beer to brew. Any light lager beer is.

Second, the economics of brewing for income makes even a few barrels at a time impractical. This may be different in the Philippines, I don't know. We are very US centric here on HBT. you may find there are fewer regulations where you live.

If you are still serious about learning to brew, then I suggest buying some basic homebrew equipment and reading through the beginner sections. Maybe buy a book or two on homebrewing. And consider temperature control during fermentation. Without that you won't be able to brew a decent lager to save your life. And probably most ales, for that matter.

After a year or two reconsider whether you want to upgrade your equipment to make reselling your beer feasible.

Thank you for your honest and sincere opinion Homercidal. Could I possibly have your email address? I'd like to share a few details regarding my plans and I have a few more questions I'd like to ask you as well.

Back