Fermentation Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I would like to buy a chest freezer to convert for starting to lager beers.....Is there anything I need to consider in purchasing a chest freezer...Besides a fermenting bucket fitting inside it......

How close can I keep the temp....

Can I also use it to ferment Ales in the summer, without using the water bath method.....

If it's a freezer, you'll need a dedicated temperature controller, like a johnson controller. Then you can set the temp to whatever you want it to be.

+1 on the Johnson Temp Controller. 2 choices analog or digital. Just plug it into the wall, plug your freezer into cotroller and your set. Very easy to use. Make sure you get one bigger then you think you want hehe. Also get yourself some brew haulers to lift those full carboys in and out safely. You can keep the temp within about 1 degree of your set point. Yes you can make ales in the summer. Hell you can make lagers in the summer. You wont be sorry with this investment

The aquarium control build looks promising. I haven't had time to read through all the posts.... So there is no modification to the chest freezer? Right? Just plug it into the device that you build????

If so, is that also the case with the Johnson controller?

Thx

I second the fan. World of difference since adding my computer fan in the chest freezer. Enables me to keep the beer lines cool too so no foam!

The aquarium control build looks promising. I haven't had time to read through all the posts.... So there is no modification to the chest freezer? Right? Just plug it into the device that you build????

If so, is that also the case with the Johnson controller?

Thx

This pic shows how easy it is. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/pict0005dz.jpg/ Controller has two cords One male(goes into wall) Other Female(fridge plugs into) You can see the grey probe wire comming from the controller into the freezer. Inside its taped to a carboy. The controller is attached to the freezer using that foamy double sided tape. No modifications to freezer needed

Just like to interject that you don't NEED to buy a temp controller. You can just unscrew the faceplate of the temp dial on the freezer, use a small screwdriver to adjust the coarse adjustment screw to bring up the range of the dial to the range where you'd want to ferment. I just finished doing this to my freezer. It now sits JUST above freezing when the dial is all the way down to "coolest". Total cost: 5 minutes once per day for 4 days till it was adjusted correctly, $0.

Back