Using Ceramic Lamp in Closed Fermentation Chamber (fire risk?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrypratt1

Reaction score
So I bought 2 ceramic heat lamps to use in the chest freezer where I ferment my All Rounder. Since the freezer is closed and I'm using a Spunding Valve to ferment on low pressure a lot of CO2 vents into the freezer. There is a warning to use the ceramic lamps in a well-ventilated area to avoid a fire or combustible risk.

Should I avoid using these with my inkbird inside the freezer? I have a carboy wrap I have been using but it of course is not ideal for the All Rounder shape and wanted a better solution. After reading the warning I'm a little concerned about using these with a known build-up of CO2.

Any concerns or experience with the same?

Terry

What wattage are the heat lamps? The well-ventilated recommendation is likely to reduce the risk of a massive heat buildup as opposed to a gas ignition risk. With the Inkbird controlling the temperature, there shouldn't be a big buildup as it will kick out when it exceeds the temperature set on the Inkbird.

If you want extra protection, get a thermal fuse and place it in the line to the heat lamps inside the freezer. Get one rated at around 60°C/140°F and if the Inkbird gets stuck on, it will blow and cut the heating. Thermal cutoff - Wikipedia

What wattage are the heat lamps? The well-ventilated recommendation is likely to reduce the risk of a massive heat buildup as opposed to a gas ignition risk. With the Inkbird controlling the temperature, there shouldn't be a big buildup as it will kick out when it exceeds the temperature set on the Inkbird.

If you want extra protection, get a thermal fuse and place it in the line to the heat lamps inside the freezer. Get one rated at around 60°C/140°F and if the Inkbird gets stuck on, it will blow and cut the heating. Thermal cutoff - Wikipedia
Thanks. They are 100W (I purchased 2 and was going to start with a single lamp and maybe move towards 2 so heat can throw at 2 sides). While possible the inkbird would fail that was not my concern. CO2 will build up and it tends to "sit" in the freezer (found out the first time I bent down into the freezer to check fermenter - don't want a whiff of that again!

It was more - can heat or electric socket ignite a CO2 buildup.

Thanks. They are 100W (I purchased 2 and was going to start with a single lamp and maybe move towards 2 so heat can throw at 2 sides). While possible the inkbird would fail that was not my concern. CO2 will build up and it tends to "sit" in the freezer (found out the first time I bent down into the freezer to check fermenter - don't want a whiff of that again!

It was more - can heat or electric socket ignite a CO2 buildup.

Nope, CO2 is not a flammable gas, it is used to smother fires. As a fun party trick, you can stick a burning strip of wood into the CO2 and it will put the flame out immediately.

100W could be too much heat, I've used a 25W heater pad and that was good enough.

I use a 50w ceramic reptile heater inside a 7 cu ft chest freezer ferm chamber which sits in my unheated garage. It gives plenty of heat, even in the winter.

No problem with pressure buildup from CO2, as the freezer isn't airtight.

If you are concerned with even heat distribution, you could put a small computer fan inside to move the air around.

I had a ceramic heat emitter in my old ferm chamber and it worked just fine. I'd make yours thermostatically controlled to keep it from overhearing.

Put a fan in for air stratification and it'll help as well

I use a 150w attached to an old computer fan to disperse the heat immediately. Works nicely in my full size side by side fridge (fermenter).
All mounted to a scrap plywood board so not as easily tipped over when I move it around. I'm guessing there's 25-30 cubic feet it needs to heat when required.

IMG_4428.jpeg

Yikes! I use 40 watt reptile bulbs in my 17 and 20 cf ferm fridges and they still provide a steep chamber temperature spike when active...

1689460014603.jpeg
1689459988798.jpeg

Cheers!

Yikes! I use 40 watt reptile bulbs in my 17 and 20 cf ferm fridges and they still provide a steep chamber temperature spike when active...

View attachment 824800 View attachment 824799

Cheers!

My setup came from your pic back in the day! Thanks for that!
I started with a 40w and it wasn’t near enough heating power for my space.
Jumped up to a 150w and it works great.
I’ve got a conical in a space with a ton of open space air. Cool and heat controlled by a BrewPi.
IMG_4227.jpeg

Last edited:
Strange, but if it works for you then go with it :mug:
Yeah, did a ton of experimentation when I first built this chamber. The cooling and heating need to balance each other out when dialing in set temperatures.
The 40w wasn’t even close to keeping up with the cooling power of the freezer.
Without a decent balance, the BrewPi doesn’t work efficiently.
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back