Fellowship of the Drink XXIII: Support Your Local Doug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shopping! There's beer down by that steeple
IMG_20200911_183212.jpg
IMG_20200911_183904.jpg
IMG_20200911_184016.jpg

So, best as I can gather, Doug and Mark are generic names for USPS employees? I'm not coming up with anything definitive.
Sorry for the references being so obtuse!

A number of rounds ago, there was a spate of seized/lost/damaged packages, several of which resulted in the sender receiving written letters signed by a "Doug" or "Mark" at FedEx/UPS/USPS.

Is there actually a "Doug" or "Mark" out there? Who knows - but if there is, he seems to be thirsty!

Doug /mark are the boogie man that steals your 20# boxes of beer and sends you a nasty letter. We don’t know if they’re real. But their actions are real and they sting the ole pocket book. Most packages you can insure but you still have to make another box up to ship out. Basically Doug/Mark sucks!!

@TwistedGray has a letter from a couple years back, maybe he'll show. UPS I believe.....Duck Foug!

I had a couple issues also but mainly shipping in summer heat. If something pops without being contained, "Doug" shows up.

@TwistedGray has a letter from a couple years back, maybe he'll show. UPS I believe.....Duck Foug!

I had a couple issues also but mainly shipping in summer heat. If something pops without being contained, "Doug" shows up.

I have letters from the post office, FedEx, and UPS. However I don't think I still have them. They've got to be floating around in one of these old threads though, rather multiple threads!

Ah yes, the good 'ol days! My guy left the Postal Annex so feeling like a shipping newbee...ha!

They, USPS, are still, in my opinion, the best to ship with. They are generally a little more expensive, but they get there faster. Speed is key when shipping beer. Also, when you get busted they don't take it seriously. I mean they have a form, but when you fill it out with pencil you start to lose your credibility!

They, USPS, are still, in my opinion, the best to ship with. They are generally a little more expensive, but they get there faster. Speed is key when shipping beer. Also, when you get busted they don't take it seriously. I mean they have a form, but when you fill it out with pencil you start to lose your credibility!

My classic shipping mishap was my 2nd trade. Sent a big box to Michigan. Knew something was going on due to tracking. After 2 weeks got a call from "my guy". The box returned. Funny thing, they took every bottle, that didn't pop, about 12-15 of them with NO padding, stuck in plastic bag in a box and shipped back. Somehow THAT made it back ok but my well packed and padded trade failed...hummmm...

So, from what I'm hearing, as long as my package is sufficiently protected (bagged, padded, etc.), I should never have to hear from Doug or Mark. I mean, they won't break into a box because they suspect it contains beer, will they?

So, from what I'm hearing, as long as my package is sufficiently protected (bagged, padded, etc.), I should never have to hear from Doug or Mark. I mean, they won't break into a box because they suspect it contains beer, will they?

As all here know, I tend to go overboard after all these shipping issues. I vacuum pack every bottle and vacuum pack 2 or 3 can at a time. Use the large bubble wrap and a strip of cardboard in-between each item. I'll wrap the entire internals with a garbage bag in case something leaks (actually, that's the first thing). Ensure padding on every side and it's "puffy" on top.

I use the small size Home Depot packing boxes. Usually can get 3 layers of brews. Between each layer use a large piece of cardboard to create another "floor". Hope this helps!

Oh, others will put small boxes of candy or something that makes a juggling noise when shakes. The beer makes an obvious swishing sound when shaked. Trading...never a dull moment!!

Here's how we look. If you're on the list without an offer, either send one across or let me know your ETA so I can adjust.

Participation & Offer Status

Active Participants with Offers:

Thorrak
LBussy
HopsNTails
CaddyWampus
aharri1
pshankstar
kingmatt
dpinette2
mullet6577
3 Dawg Night
CrookedLaker
orionol73
TBC
jekeane
PianoMan
LoneTreeFarm
TwistedGray

Active Participants without Offers:
@CTownBrewer
@TheDudeLebowski
@wepeeler
@fourfarthing
@jerbrew
@EcuPirate07
@afro_lou
@JamesonFan
@Beerwildered

Lawdy lawdy... I was so stoked on having so much time to get my offer together, I ended up floccin spacing on it!

but who’s surprised... 😂

I do actually have stuff to offer tho! Do you guys want it to just be a classic Surprise Box, or should I take a picture when I get home in a few hours?

Lawdy lawdy... I was so stoked on having so much time to get my offer together, I ended up floccin spacing on it!

but who’s surprised... 😂

I do actually have stuff to offer tho! Do you guys want it to just be a classic Surprise Box, or should I take a picture when I get home in a few hours?

Surprises are fun

Latest posts

Back