Fellowship of the Drink VI: All Crying Samwise's will be Flogged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious, you really thought higher math got better with a year? I threw a 4 pack in the cellar to save. Tried one at a year and did not think it got better. Everyone's different though. Still have 3 more, so we'll just keep trying them.

I did. First year i thought it was too harsh and sharp. It smoothed well for me in year two. My gut says this is a year five beer (and then you regret drinking the first couple of years).

I dumped a higher math last night neither my wife an I could stomach it. Thankfully we didn't buy two to find out if it would be better in four more years.

I don't buy beer to stare at. Some imperial stouts, especially with flavors, I'll age for an entire week..oh the agony.. just to say I did, otherwise down the hatch it goes! My HB imperials definitely come into their own after 4 months, had some after 6 with not much change. Hard for me to believe the chemistry changes that much between 6 months and 2 years. We need to ask the resident PhD..@RevKev your take?

Some beer absolutely changes, there is no question. But some will be more pronounced than others. Henniker puts out a beer called company every year that is a belgian quad aged on cherrywood. First year fresh it was harsh and not well melded. A year later it was amazing and super well blended.

The ones that will be most pronounced are big beers, imperial stouts, belgian quads, barrleywines, etc. And they absolutely do change. I know some people have no interest, and then there's the other side where people just hoard and never drink. I'm in the middle. I have about 110 bottles/cans sitting right now, but they all have a target age associated and I will drink them when they hit that. Some have been hugely worth it, some I shouldn't have bothered. All were worth the experiment.

At a brewery of that scale, likely not a ton given the flavor shifts. Most of it was interesting to see how the alcohol rounded out the harsher elements over time.

Some beer absolutely changes, there is no question. But some will be more pronounced than others. Henniker puts out a beer called company every year that is a belgian quad aged on cherrywood. First year fresh it was harsh and not well melded. A year later it was amazing and super well blended.

The ones that will be most pronounced are big beers, imperial stouts, belgian quads, barrleywines, etc. And they absolutely do change. I know some people have no interest, and then there's the other side where people just hoard and never drink. I'm in the middle. I have about 110 bottles/cans sitting right now, but they all have a target age associated and I will drink them when they hit that. Some have been hugely worth it, some I shouldn't have bothered. All were worth the experiment.

Good point! Apparently, I need to buy a bigger house or kick someone out of a spare room! Do you cellar at cool temperatures? Something impossible in Central Texas.

I don't buy beer to stare at. Some imperial stouts, especially with flavors, I'll age for an entire week..oh the agony.. just to say I did, otherwise down the hatch it goes! My HB imperials definitely come into their own after 4 months, had some after 6 with not much change. Hard for me to believe the chemistry changes that much between 6 months and 2 years. We need to ask the resident PhD..@RevKev your take?

Haha I know not a whole lot about aging beers, I'm too impatient to actually adopt the practice just like you it seems, but from what I gather aging should be done with bigger complex characters. Strong ales, wild fermented ales and smoked beers all have the potential to develop over time. Partially due to oxidation and partially due to degradation and life cycle of metabolites throughout the age of beer. Muting more prominent flavours and allowing subtle undertones to come through or be produced.

If there is no complexity I see no point in aging, but those who have done this extensively know much better than me..

I could however formulate a LC or GC-MS method and test brews over time for notable compounds and identify their metabolic breakdown and levels. But.. I think I'd rather just drink the beer haha

Good point! Apparently, I need to buy a bigger house or kick someone out of a spare room! Do you cellar at cool temperatures? Something impossible in Central Texas.

I'm in an apartment still. I started with a small beverage fridge that I installed a controller on to keep it at ~54F. Then i filled that.... So now I have a bunch in boxes that were cool enough in the winter (I keep the place a little chilly), and in the summer I'll move them to the basement which remains cool enough. Within a year I'm hoping to buy a place and I'll just devote an area of the basement.

Updated Draft Board! Good luck to all.

*Participants are actually in alphabetical order.

Fellowship VI.jpg

Are you saying you regret picking me in a previous foray in the FotD?

Lol, sounds like my wife twisting those words lol. No actually you were in my top 3 as I stated in our private messages :D but the day before I was bummed to be middle of the pack again. :ban:

im intrigued to know what everyones top preferences (draft boards?)are. There are only 2 I would be unhappy with and that is simply because they are local to me. I don't really chase down beers although i recognize some names and go solely based on what other people recommend usually. I'm a fan of the local trade stuff because there are a lot of places I likely won't get to visit anytime soon.

Sorry, we all have our draft poker faces on. Only @pianoman knows. [emoji6]

As fast as I can post...Times are CST.
1) 11:30am - cegan09
2) 11:35am - jekeane
3) 11:40am - tlucarelli
4) 11:45am - PaulR
5) 11:50am - Brizzo
6) 11:55am - GaBrewZoo
7) 12:00pm - Scturo
8) 12:05pm - TBC
9) 12:10pm - RevKev
10) 12:15pm - jimyson
11) 12:20pm - Schecter
12) 12:25pm - gromitdj
13) 12:30pm - jerbrew
14) 12:35pm - EcuPirate07
15) 12:40pm - JayDog
16) 12:45pm - Pianoman
17) 12:50pm - froggyfrog
18) 12:55pm - JDXX1971
19) 1:00pm - Coyote68
20) 1:05pm - fourfarthing
21) 1:10pm - imasickboy
22) 1:15pm - madscientistbrewNq
23) 1:20pm - afro_lou
24) 1:25pm - k1nglives
25) 1:30pm - PatrickGoss

Procedure: Listed 1-25 on Randomize.com. The numbers corresponded to the Names in the Offering listings. I have a picture with the time stamp if you really want it. Tried using Thorrak's website, but was getting errors when I tried to put the pictures in...probably user error.

Back