Fantastic deal on turkey fryer!! (for boiling wort)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The difference was between included accessories, not the quality of the aluminum/burner.

No clue.

I just ordered one anyhow, figured it wouldn't matter to me what ever people bitched about. I hope a I can install a weldless fitting in it, I got a feeling I would just spill it all over. lol

Wow...ordered on the 13th and in today!
:mug:
Also in today I received my co2 regulator w/dual splits and connections for the cornies I'm waiting to arrive.
Its like freaking Christmas lol!

:rockin:

I got mine today too. About the same time as well. I guess it shipped from Cincinnati so that was nice. I put the base together and it looks nice and sturdy. I think this is going to turn out to be a great deal.

I just ordered one. I already do All Grain, but I've been needing an extra burner and pot, so for $32 it can't be beat! I will only use it as an HLT!

Good find!!!

OK got mine in the mail yesterday. I had a tank that was almost empty, so I thought I would fire it up. I let it run FULL blast with about 6-7 gallons of water and I got to about 135 before I gave up after 50 min. :( The heat coming off that thing felt pretty hot. It was a little windy so that might have been slowing things down. How long from your guys experience is it gonna take to get a boil from this burner. Is it gonna go faster from 135 to a boil?

Also how important is it to get a oxidation layer on the pot? I have heard that you need to boil water for 30 min or put it in the oven at 350 for 30 min before using an aluminum pot (it wont fit in the oven).

Sometimes full blast isn't always the best answer. If you get to high a flow of gas, you are actually putting the flame out. Were all your burner holes lit with flame? I bet they weren't.....I'm sure the wind didn't help either.

The oxidaton is important to prevent oxides from getting into your beer. Also, you could buy a flashing to put up around the burner to kill the wind or even a piece of plywood. I can't remember who did that, but the use some flashing and they said it helped with the wind.

I have a setup with a 7.5 or 8 gallon stainless pot and I can lift it to pour it. It's not elegant, and I get some soot on me if it's on the pot, but hey, it works. I did buy the $9 auto-siphon thing and use that after whirlpooling my last batch, though, and I have to say that this is much easier. I also popped my airstone into the carboy while it was siphoning and the slight swirl from the siphon inflow may even help as the bubbles rose up, keeping fresh wort flowing over the stone to be aerated. All very cheap and easy. Moving a 6.5gallon carboy by my self afterwards while it was full of 5.5 gallons of wort is not easy. I will be buying some nylon strapping and sewing up some carrying handle sets for my carboys soon.

OK got mine in the mail yesterday. I had a tank that was almost empty, so I thought I would fire it up. I let it run FULL blast with about 6-7 gallons of water and I got to about 135 before I gave up after 50 min. :( The heat coming off that thing felt pretty hot. It was a little windy so that might have been slowing things down. How long from your guys experience is it gonna take to get a boil from this burner. Is it gonna go faster from 135 to a boil?

Also how important is it to get a oxidation layer on the pot? I have heard that you need to boil water for 30 min or put it in the oven at 350 for 30 min before using an aluminum pot (it wont fit in the oven).

Did you have the top on the pot? You'll lose a TON of heat if you have the top off. The wind was probably the main culprit as it would wick heat away from the pot, not to mention the heat being generated by the burner. Just set up some chairs or something around the burner if you're brewing on a windy day to cut down on the heat loss.

It should not go faster from 135 to a boil than from tap temp (60F?) to 135. Just the opposite.

Did you have the top on the pot? You'll lose a TON of heat if you have the top off. The wind was probably the main culprit as it would wick heat away from the pot, not to mention the heat being generated by the burner. Just set up some chairs or something around the burner if you're brewing on a windy day to cut down on the heat loss.

It should not go faster from 135 to a boil than from tap temp (60F?) to 135. Just the opposite.

OK I didn't have the top on, so that might have been the problem. Plus I'm gonna get some metal flashing to set up around it to protect from the wind and give it another shot. I gotta get that oxidation layer going so I can brew in it Sunday.

OK I didn't have the top on, so that might have been the problem. Plus I'm gonna get some metal flashing to set up around it to protect from the wind and give it another shot. I gotta get that oxidation layer going so I can brew in it Sunday.

That was definitely the problem then. Water requires an incredible amount of energy (heat) to evaporate, and with the top off and all the other things you had going against you (due to the wind) you reached a sort of equilibrium. With the top on I'm sure you would have boiled well before 50min. My dad's friend who has a similar burner reached steeping temps in about 15 minutes, and full boil in another 10-15 when the top was kept on.

BTW, how do you oxidize prior to brewing? (didn't even know to do this)

"BTW, how do you oxidize prior to brewing? (didn't even know to do this)"

You just need to boil water in the pot for a bit before using the first time....the sides will blacken some and then its set. At least thats my understanding.

Here's the link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/pay-and-gc.html

Just login and send them a quick email. State that you paid a certain price for it and it is now cheaper than it was when you paid for it. They honor the partial refund due to Amazon.com's "Post - price guarantee". If you see the price drop within 30 days from when you bought it, they refund you the difference no questions asked.

I've already been given 2 refunds and this will be my 3rd.

Got the fryer today. Looks great! Packaged well, no damage, pot and burner look well made and sturdy. I haven't actually set it up or used it yet, but things are looking pretty good so far. Not bad for $30.00

Anyone thinking of *maybe* going all grain in the future should consider buying this. You won't find it cheaper anywhere else, guaranteed.

Got the fryer today. Looks great! Packaged well, no damage, pot and burner look well made and sturdy. I haven't actually set it up or used it yet, but things are looking pretty good so far. Not bad for $30.00

Anyone thinking of *maybe* going all grain in the future should consider buying this. You won't find it cheaper anywhere else, guaranteed.

amen, I received mine yesterday and set it up within half an hour. Doesn't look sturdy but I filled up the whole put with water and put it on.. held up pretty damn well! :D

So about how long doest this thing take to boil 5 gallons, or does anyone know how many BTUs the burner is.

Took me 23 minutes to bring about 7 gallons to a boil on about a full turn open. This thing is sweet.

I still think for the next couple batches I'll be doing partial boils, just for the ease and quickness of cooling. If I eventually get/make a chiller then maybe I'll do a full boil but since I don't care about the color of the beer and have started to do late extract addition, I don't see a benefit.

EDIT: Price drop yet again. Now down to $30.72!

Wow, I can't believe they are even making any money on this. Goes to show you the mark up on things that we buy.

At $29 is there a better burner for eventual keggle use? I wasn't planning on doing any more beer purchases, but I might not be able to pass this one up.

in 4 one. this will be the first of many pieces for the start of home brewing

price went up big time. I was just about to order one this morning and looked at the price. $77.93 WTF!!! oh well...

Can anyone post how exactly they got the refund from Amazon. I didn't see a link in my shipping email or an easy way on their site that will go to the proper place?

Thanks.

Dang looks like I missed out on the pricematch.... oh well, glad everyone that got in before the price jump.

EDIT: Updated the original post marking as dead.

Back