Excessive foaming after dry hop addition???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClassV

Reaction score
Just dry hopped an IPA like I always do (hops in a muslin bag into the secondary). For some reason Im seeing lots of air (or CO2 bubbles) coming up in the secondary and creating a good head of foam. Never happened like this before, Are the hops to dry? CO2 in secondary coming out of solution due to all the nucleation sites from the hops? Any suggestions?

First post yee haw!

I've had a beer react that way only once. FG was reached, left in carboy for a couple more weeks and added some pellets to dry hop. 5 minutes later the airlock blew off with hop residue. Cleaned it up and the beer was fine. Hasn't happened since, but I always watch my brews for the first 10 minutes after I dry hop just in case...

Thanks guys. My FG was good and its been in the secondary for about 3 weeks, foam did come close to blowing over, but has since died down. Interesting...

I have experienced a similar phenomenon: After secondary, I do natural carbonation by mixing some sugar into a bottling carboy, then add to it the premature beer from the secondary and mix thoroughly. No extra yeast. When I bottled, I experimented with dry hopping by placing a variable amount of hop pellets into a few glass bottles ( 341ml / 12oz). The rest of the bottles do not contain any additional hops. All bottles were clean the same way. The bottles with the extra dry hops were always more carbonated.
I too am trying to understand what is happening. Any got any explanations?

Back