Erratic fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple B

Reaction score
I have just brood a batch of Ginger beer with keviak yeast. I gave it Yeast Energizer and yeast nutrients. I use Firmaid O. And the 1st day it went well but the 2nd day when I add some more from aid O, the fermentation was erratic. It has not been consistent for the last 2 days sometimes it's superfast. Sometimes it's little slow. At first it started to go really fast with a little slow burst and then fast again. I have prude for more than 20 years but I never had this problem.

I've had that happen to me with some of my earlier beers. One did that off and on for 6 weeks. It actually turned out to be what I consider one of my best beers.

That last week it actually did nothing but clear up so I could see to the other side of the FV. So after a week of nothing else happening, I was reasonably sure it was ready. And it was!

I haven't made ginger beer, nor used nutrients. I have used kviek successfully. I wouldn't worry about it, yeast is funny stuff. Keep us posted.
Thank you for the feedback. I will keep you posted keep an eye on this thread.

Today is the 6th day and it's actually slow down and it is consistent. The bubbles are on a set pay now and everything's just calm down I guess.

I've had that happen to me with some of my earlier beers. One did that off and on for 6 weeks. It actually turned out to be what I consider one of my best beers.

That last week it actually did nothing but clear up so I could see to the other side of the FV. So after a week of nothing else happening, I was reasonably sure it was ready. And it was!
Thank you. This is the 6th day today and B fermentation has now slowed down and is consistent.

It has been cool in Houston and the funny thing is, I'm not using my AC in a couple Of days. But today it's kind of hot and I turn on my AC and now My fermentation is starting to bubble aggressively again in colder environment I'm giving it.

Might be that it started doing all the things it needed to build it self back to the state it actually ferments in and you happened to turn on the AC about the time it showed. But the times I've had bubbles start and stop were in pretty stable temperatures. Probably within 3°F for the entire time.

And there are other reasons for bubbles. And bubbles in the beer can be so small that you might just not notice them. As well, the production of CO2 isn't at a rate that will show a bubble in your airlock or bubbler and it might just leak out other places before getting enough pressure to make a airlock bubble.

Back