Equipment Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagerman64

Reaction score
While deployed my wife bulldozed my brewing area and put in a shed, leaving a small, but sufficient area to brew. Her idea was to move a majority of my equipment to the shed and free up basement space. A sound idea, however my concern is she wants to store lawn equipment as well in the shed. The shed appears well ventilated, will my mash tuns and kettles pick up any off gassing or petroleum flavors from the equipment?

I keep my sculpture and keggles in the garage with the mower/weedeaters and haven't had an issue. Should be ok as long as you dont pour gas in them.

You could cover them, or wash them quick before using. I don't think they would pick up any flavors either way.

I always wash my stuff and store it in a garbage bag tied up just for extra protection and to keep dust off of it. I just keep some heavy duty garbage bags around.

I always wash my stuff and store it in a garbage bag tied up just for extra protection and to keep dust off of it. I just keep some heavy duty garbage bags around.

+1 to this..... Tons of people keep their brew equipment in the garage with all of the various lawn equipment with no ill effects. I don't see why a shed would have to be any different. Keep it clean, keep it covered and a quick rinse on brew day should be all it takes.

I guess it's a good thing our house was built with a parlore in front. Comp room/man cave! Although all my stuff is in here to my right,I'm always striving to find new ways to make things neater or at least more organized looking. I always keep the lids on my fermenters,& the bags my bench capper & grain mill came shipped in for dust covers. And the cap on the better bottle for the same reason. Guess it's a left over from the old days when dust covers were popular?...

I keep all of my things in a 55 gallon Rubbermaid tote I picked up at Target for less than $10. Holds my kettle, fermenting bucket, carboy, bottle tree, and all the misc stuff in between. Everything goes in washed and dried, then into the shed until the next brew. It's a big box, but keeps all of the things I need clean, an in one location.

Back