Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't be happier to have the Flyers back on TV 2-3 nights a week!

Going to the Flyers/Caps game thursday, hoping to give Washington their first loss.

Really not missing Richards or Carter at all, i might change my tune later on in the year, but honestly this team is just exciting to watch right now.

Cryers vs Craps? That would be a good game to rig up the arena with explosives.

The Pens keep losing players. At least we have James Neal still. #6 last night. Pretty fitting we score 2 shorties against our old worthless special teams coach Mike Yeo.

Beezy said:
Cryers vs Craps? That would be a good game to rig up the arena with explosives.

The Pens keep losing players. At least we have James Neal still. #6 last night. Pretty fitting we score 2 shorties against our old worthless special teams coach Mike Yeo.

Of all people to call the Flyers the cryers, really, a Pens fan? Crosby is the ultimate crybaby.

I disagree, you have to participate in actual games to cry about them.

_

It's funny watching Flyers fans (and others) who are so jealous of talent...and to realize they would give their left nut to have Crosby on their teams payroll. Do you really think the Fyers wouldn't trade ANYONE ASKED for Crosby? So, here's the Pens, WITHOUT Crosby, WITHOUT Malkin, WITHOUT Kennedy, WITHOUT Orpik - that's over 26.5 million of their salary cap...still WINNING and being right up their in terms of points.

Also, it must REALLY piss off people in Philly and other places (including the NHL non-player folks) to see Matt Cooke, that no good can-only-be-a-cheap-shot sitting in the top 20 in points to date.
:mug:

I'm a Wings fan, I envy no ones talent, especially ones in street shoes. No fan of any team in their right mind would want Crosby, he's one hit away from being Lindros. Actually, I apologize to Lindros, he could handle his concussions.:)

_

What's funny is watching Pens fans talk like they weren't at the brink of losing their franchise.

Like for close to a decade and a half that no one in that city gave two ****s about the penguins.

I respect the hell out of Crosby, he's an amazing, insanely talented hockey player. However, he was a whiny, spineless brat for the first couple seasons he was in the league and to Flyers fans he'll never live that down, and it will always be fun to call him a crybaby because it drives pens fans nuts.

I'll take the team that hasn't won a cup in 35 years, but atleast every year ices a team that competes and makes the playoffs most years, that had the second highest all time winning percentage in the regular season.

But keep on praising malkin and Crosby for the few more years you have them and then penguins hockey becomes irrelevant again.

I disagree, you have to participate in actual games to cry about them.

_

Well, he can whine from the box, but either way, he's a whiner.

It's funny watching Flyers fans (and others) who are so jealous of talent...and to realize they would give their left nut to have Crosby on their teams payroll. Do you really think the Fyers wouldn't trade ANYONE ASKED for Crosby? So, here's the Pens, WITHOUT Crosby, WITHOUT Malkin, WITHOUT Kennedy, WITHOUT Orpik - that's over 26.5 million of their salary cap...still WINNING and being right up their in terms of points.

Also, it must REALLY piss off people in Philly and other places (including the NHL non-player folks) to see Matt Cooke, that no good can-only-be-a-cheap-shot sitting in the top 20 in points to date.
:mug:

Wow, top 20 after what 8 games? And the fact that you post that stat when no one else in the league has played more than 6 games, really? That's called a stretch.

The fact that the Flyers have called up Schenn and can sport the line of Schenn, Couturier, and Read which is a better line than a lot of teams 1st or 2nd lines, and they're all rookies, I think the envy is not from the Flyers for the Penguins.

I will never want Crosby on the Flyers. He's a weak b*tch who uses his superstar status to get preferential treatment and if you can't admit that as a Pens fan of all people, you're a complete homer or you don't actually watch the games.

Ovechkin will always be the better player in my book because of the way he plays the game. He'll probably have a shorter career than Crosby, but that's because he plays hard and actually brings a physical aspect to his game.

I couldn't care less who is out for the Pens. They're up there in points, sure, but they've played more games than everyone else, 3 more than the second place Flyers. In terms of points accumulation, the Pens are at 10 out of 16 possible, good for a .625%. The Flyers are at .900%. The Flyers lead the league in offense after giving up two guys who totaled 78 goals last year, and have the biggest goals for/goals against differential.

Yes, it's early for both teams, but let's be honest, Crosby has a lot of talent, but he obviously can't take the big hit without spitting teeth, getting a concussion, or throwing a fit about it.

What's funny is watching Pens fans talk like they weren't at the brink of losing their franchise.

Like for close to a decade and a half that no one in that city gave two ****s about the penguins.

I respect the hell out of Crosby, he's an amazing, insanely talented hockey player. However, he was a whiny, spineless brat for the first couple seasons he was in the league and to Flyers fans he'll never live that down, and it will always be fun to call him a crybaby because it drives pens fans nuts.

I'll take the team that hasn't won a cup in 35 years, but atleast every year ices a team that competes and makes the playoffs most years, that had the second highest all time winning percentage in the regular season.

But keep on praising malkin and Crosby for the few more years you have them and then penguins hockey becomes irrelevant again.

Right, prior to their worst season in franchise history, the Flyers were second only to the Wings in consecutive playoff seasons. Like you said, no one gave a rip about the Penguins prior to Crosby getting there. They were the Islanders, Thrashers, Coyotes, Whalers, Jets of the past that people couldn't wait to leave and play for a contender, like the Flyers.

I think that the Pen's as both a team and organization have proven that they can operate and be better than half the teams in the league without Malkin and Crosby.

I'm glad I could get everyone chatting again. This thread had slowed down quite a bit, now we are on a roll. :D

Pittsburgh isn't a big market city like Philadelphia, and for a long time hockey was an afterthought to football (Steelers). Does Philadelphia have a football team? :D

I can't tell you what will happen in the future, but I think things are somewhat different now even if the Pens do crappy in terms of the fan base. They have sold out over 200 games in a row, and the organization (from a business perspective) under Mario Lemieux seems to be good.

You do know that Wayne Gretsky was considered "whiny" when he was young, don't you?

It couldn't be that Crosby especially seems to kick butt against the Flyers?

I'm a Wings fan, I envy no ones talent, especially ones in street shoes. No fan of any team in their right mind would want Crosby, he's one hit away from being Lindros. Actually, I apologize to Lindros, he could handle his concussions.:)
_

So given you are in TN, Nashville's not your team?

Wow, top 20 after what 8 games? And the fact that you post that stat when no one else in the league has played more than 6 games, really? That's called a stretch.

Yeah, it was. The season is young. I was just trying to point out (to those that can't see) that there is a lot more to Cooke. His suspension during the first round of the playoffs is the major reason that the Lightning beat the Pens (I like the Tampa as a team and if we were going to lose to anyone, let it be them). Cooke was THE man on short handed situations (Pens were #1 in that category last year), and as we see so far this year, he can score (remember, he is usually on the second or third line and he is on-ice for short handed situations which takes away from opportunities to score).

I will never want Crosby on the Flyers. He's a weak b*tch who uses his superstar status to get preferential treatment and if you can't admit that as a Pens fan of all people, you're a complete homer or you don't actually watch the games.
What you want is irrelevant. What I said was that just about any team (well, maybe a couple of exceptions) (coach, GM, owner) would be jumping to get Crosby on their team.

I think that the Pen's as both a team and organization have proven that they can operate and be better than half the teams in the league without Malkin and Crosby.

You got it.

Pittsburgh isn't a big market city like Philadelphia, and for a long time hockey was an afterthought to football (Steelers). Does Philadelphia have a football team? :D

I can't tell you what will happen in the future, but I think things are somewhat different now even if the Pens do crappy in terms of the fan base. They have sold out over 200 games in a row, and the organization (from a business perspective) under Mario Lemieux seems to be good.

You do know that Wayne Gretsky was considered "whiny" when he was young, don't you?

It couldn't be that Crosby especially seems to kick butt against the Flyers?

Can't stand the eagles, eagles fans, or the NFL. So i actually find it funny with how sad the eagles are, on top of the fact that i hate vick and can't stand Andy Reid, i wouldn't be an Eagles fan even if i liked Football.

I'm glad that the Penguins are doing better, honestly. I love pens/flyers games. It's just that the typical pens fan is an obnoxious bandwagon jumper that does nothing but namedrop their superstars, talk up the recent cup win, and namedrop their superstars.

Yes, i know you have Crosby. Yes, I know he has dominated the Flyers most times they've played. No, i don't want him on my team because he's one Matt Cooke away from being Marc Savard. Yes, Malkin is a great player, when he wants to be and if his knees weren't falling apart. I'm perfectly happy with Claude Giroux, van Riemsdyk, Couturier, and Schenn.

Crosby, even if he comes back, will still be an excellent player. That's not the issue, it's become a question of for how long will he be an excellent player. Wildwest is right, no team at this point is going to take the risk to trade the assets it would require to pry Sid away from the Pens, because there's no guarantee that the next hit he takes doesn't end his career.

Peace, my fellow Pennsylvanian. The cross state rivalry is a great thing, and both teams have come a long way from the expansion days. (I still remember my dad taking me to a Pittsburgh Hornets (AHL) game).

Now, if we really wanted to rank on folks, we would start on those from Canada...

Cripes it's been a long week. No hockey since last Saturday, and none until tomorrow night! And I'll be away at friend's house who might not even get hockey, and for sure doesn't like to watch it. Luckily I'll be drinking.

So given you are in TN, Nashville's not your team?

Given I spent the first 27 years of my life 60 miles from Detroit, hell no. I bleed maize and blue, red and white, and Honolulu blue. I could care less about baseball and basketball.

Actually in 88 I watched the Wings get beat by the Oilers again in the palyoffs, on a 13" black and white tv, i've paid my dues.

_

Homercidal said:
Cripes it's been a long week. No hockey since last Saturday, and none until tomorrow night! And I'll be away at friend's house who might not even get hockey, and for sure doesn't like to watch it. Luckily I'll be drinking.

As mentioned by others, the Pens have already played a lot of games, so plenty for me to watch. Also, NHL center ice has been free so far, so I've watched and dvr'd a bunch of non Penguin games. Actually, it's more my 9 year old that sets the non Pittsburgh games up and he absolutely loves NHL on the fly. He also knows 10x about what players are on what teams, where they were on prior years, even a lot of the AHL players.

As mentioned by others, the Pens have already played a lot of games, so plenty for me to watch. Also, NHL center ice has been free so far, so I've watched and dvr'd a bunch of non Penguin games. Actually, it's more my 9 year old that sets the non Pittsburgh games up and he absolutely loves NHL on the fly. He also knows 10x about what players are on what teams, where they were on prior years, even a lot of the AHL players.

I wish I could afford to buy center ice. This is the last week of that free preview, and I'm going to be watching a lot less hockey after its gone.

That's fine if you don't mind lowering your standards.

Just read where the Wings filled in their down time with some community service hours to "give back" to Hockeytown. And they went and did some stuff with a local SWAT team and got to shoot assault rifles and handguns. #jealous

You know who loves Filthadelphia? The Colorado Avalanche's 2 cups & decade of ass whippins thanks to that idiotic Lindros trade.

This never gets old:

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what I love about Colorado? Their blood all over the ice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cooke, at his very best, when not getting suspended, is a 30-40 point player. A lot of people go on streaks, or whatever, and Cooke happens to be on one to start the season. He will not put up 60 points like he's on pace to do unless he consistently gets 1st/2nd line time and PP time, which won't happen.

We all know the Flyers' Matt Read isn't going to continue at over a point per game pace. He's on pace for 98 points with his 6 in 5 games. Chris Pronger also has 6 points in 5 games.

It's way too early to be talking about Cooke changing his game and now being significant offensive contributor. Anyone in the NHL can behave for a week or two. If Cooke makes it through the entire season without at least 2 or 3 questionable hits that are reviewed by the league (hits to the head, boarding, etc), I'll be surprised.

If he puts up 50 points and doesn't get ejected for a hit/cheap shot, I'll attend the Crow Eating Banquet for the entire offseason.

Tonight's Flyers/Caps matchup is going to be an awesome game to watch.

copyright1997 said:
So, do you think he (Neal) took my advice? :D

No I think he is taking my advice and not trying to hit the goal tender in the chest.

That Asham goal was badass too. The only one I ended up seeing in real time.

I'll consider contributing to this thread (and watching the Not Hamilton League) when the commish gets what's coming to him.

Hawks and Avs about to start.
Varlamov was AWESOME Thursday but it wasn't enough to steal the game.
I hope he's in net again and see if he can repeat some of those unbelievable saves.
I've really been liking the Kane/Hossa/Carcillo line for the Hawks.
Kane has been looking good at center so far.

What happened to the wing dings?

In other news, James F. Neal. Lost track how many goals already damn.

Tiber_Brew said:
No excuses here. Congrats to the Caps on a great game.

No excuses? But this is the smack talk thread!

I'd still put money on the wings in a 7 game series. It won't mean much at the end.

Yeah, I know... It comes down to us having a bad game, and the Caps having a great game. Can't start making excuses at this point, since I'm still fully confident in the Wings. We'll see how they recover from this.

We'll see how they recover from this.

How they recover? It's only 6 games in for crying out loud, everyone gets blown out in the regular season more than once. They recover by winning the Central, then going out in the second round.

_

Homercidal said:
Caps are looking GOOD so far. Let's cross our fingers on their injury problems... ;)

They always look good in the regular season. You must be proud of the presidents trophies.

Back