Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pittsburgh Stats:
Neal tied for 1st in goals.
Fleury tied for 1st in wins.
Pittsburgh 1st in points, 3rd in overall % wins (behind Washington and Dallas).
Pittsburgh 1st in PK% (thanks Cookie, Park, Dupuis, others) Only 1 PK goal given up. That one was in OT on a 4 on 3 situation. Three short handed goals score (league lead).
8th in PP%, but that's a heck of lot better than last year.
11th in Goals per game, without Crosby, mostly w/o Malkin. Doing ok here too.

So far, so good!

Hey, how come we only hear from Detroit, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Caps fans here. Where's everyone else?

Waaaaaaayyy to early to be obsessing on stats, my friend.

We have had about a month of hockey. It's not like they just started this week. Are the stats going to extrapolate out the whole season? Is James Neal going to pot 60 goals? Probably not. More like 70-80 goals IMO.

This from someone in Central, IL?

You'd think this would make you an expert on dumps. Guess not...

Maybe I am. Why do you think the Blues AHL team is in Peoria? Because it is even more of a riverside dump.
(Rockford is also a sh*thole, but their river sucks.)

Entertaining game last night. As usual paid $25 for nose bleeds, then moved to the glass after the 1st. The penalty box attendant gave us pucks after the game. 4 fights, and a shutout, pretty cool.

2011-10-29_20-05-42_722.jpg

The Leafs just got off to a fast start but will blow it like last year. The real challenge for Pitt will be the Sharks. Big Joe will chew up the Pens as if it were shark week!

Took 'em until well in to November to get 7 wins last year though. Things are looking different this year - there are two decent goalies it seems. Top line is still scoring, but now the Grabo/Mac/Kulemin line is starting to click. The Leafs haven't had 2 legitimate scoring lines in a long, long time.

So no, it's not guaranteed that they'll "blow it just like last year". It appears they've actually addressed some of the shortcomings from the previous season. If they play .500 hockey for the rest of the season they'll have 87 points. So just a little over that should be enough for a much-needed playoff appearance. Baby steps here in Leafland, my friend. Nobody thinks the Cup is coming home any time soon - right now we just want to see a team that can compete every night.

And if the Pens just lost to the terrible Leafs, it's going to suck to see how they do against the "real challenge" Sharks.

The Laughs look pretty good from where I am sitting. You should give the first star to Geno for committing dumb penalties on a night when two of our best PKers are out. Kessel looks like a beast tho and there are several good lines to roll out. I could see the Leafs in the playoffs for sure. Sometimes all you need is a really good start and then you can cruise control it.

The Laughs look pretty good from where I am sitting. You should give the first star to Geno for committing dumb penalties on a night when two of our best PKers are out. Kessel looks like a beast tho and there are several good lines to roll out. I could see the Leafs in the playoffs for sure. Sometimes all you need is a really good start and then you can cruise control it.

Gotta give credit where credit is due. Toronto played a great game. In period one, at about 5 minutes in I told my son that we would be very lucky to get a point out of this one. I was actually surprised that the score was so close. Toronto was controlling the play, and it looked a little like we were trying to play a Pittsburgh - Toronto game from the early 90's when we could easily score 5-7 goals a game.

Yes, first star (for Toronto) to Geno last night. Dumb penalties AND some lazy plays on his part in our own end. Also, wayay too many odd man rushes that Johnson or our D had to fend off.

Hopefully a less hectic schedule will help get the team rested, healed a bit and ready.

copyright1997 said:
Pittsburgh has sold out their last 200 plus games, and I'd say Pittsburgh is a bit of a football town also.

It's more if a football town than anything else. The hockey crowd is actually a younger one.

Cripes, was Detroit lousy last night! Penalty after penalty.

Although I will say I liked the penalty on Miller for running over Harding. Harding should have gotten out of the way. Players skate along the wall behind the net several times in EVERY game, and Miller should have expected Harding to make his pass and make room. Friggin goalies are pusses. And the way Harding played it all up like he got hurt on the play! What a joke!

I really wish they would make the goalies man up a bit and stop calling a penalty any time a player touches them outside the crease. Take away the trapezoid areas, and let the goalies take a hit once in a while. They will learn to stop playing the puck naturally...

Yeah, but you had to love that Koivu hit on Kronwall, eh? Nice shoulder hit to setup the easy winner from Setoguchi. Usually the Wild struggle against Detroit, but I'm very happy with the 2 points in Joe Louis.

I do tend to agree on the penalties relating to goalies. It's not like they are unprotected with all that gear on.

EDIT: Well shoot, now it appears like Kronwall may be hurt from the play. Kind of hard to gloat when a guy is down, hope he's all right.

You are just butt hurt because the Wings are on a 5 game losing streak. The last 2 credited to the Wild! Sucks to suck Detroit.

Well, it's entirely possible I am butt hurt. At least I admit when they don't play well. Or at least up to standard.

I didn't mind the hit on Kronwall. He wasn't "targeting" him, and even though he got hit in the head, it was sort of a lucky hit. If you can't shrug your shoulders and hit someone, I'm not sure what you could get away with.

I'm more upset that they could get the damn puck out of the zone at that time. The Defense REALLY needs to step up their clearing plays. Harding should not have been able to get back to the bench.

There were questionable calls throughout the game, and the Wild seemed to get the better in that respect, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

My main point is that I'm tired of goalies having free reign and are "untouchable" in today's league. I'd like to see them leave the crease at their own peril. They could speed up play and scoring by considering whether or not a player had gone out of their way to hit a goalie. They aren't made of china, like they usually act. They need to stand up and be men out there.

I guess it's fun to hang your hat on the regular season when you don't make the playoff's?

_

Yeah I do cheer for the Wild!!! They are my local team and they are getting better! I like how they traded to get some offense and finally quit the Jacques Lemaire style neutral zone trap BS. Hopefully one day the Wild can be like the Preds and make the playoffs to get knocked out of the 1st round.

Too long long without hockey. Pens had to let everyone catch up though. Nice thing about the later games is that it falls on bar night when I am actually there enjoying some cask ale.

Well, there's a LOT I don't like about Bruce Brodreau, but he was certainly right about this one:

"Washington Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau was criticized this offseason by former players for not being willing to reward his role players when they were outperforming his go-to guys.

Well, that wasn't the case Tuesday night. Boudreau called a timeout with 1:27 left against the Anaheim Ducks and his team trailing by a goal.

After the timeout, Boudreau sent out Marcus Johansson, Mike Knuble and Matt Hendricks as his forwards. Twenty-five seconds later there was another stoppage of play, and he deployed Brooks Laich, Joel Ward and Jason Chimera, along with Nicklas Backstrom as the extra attacker.

Twice he made the decision to not use captain Alex Ovechkin in a spot where the two-time MVP always plays for the Capitals.

"I got to put out the guys that I think are going to score the goal," Boudreau said. "Ninety-nine percent of the time, Alex is the guy I think is going to score the goal. I just didn't think he was going to score the goal at that time tonight."

Backstrom delivered the tying goal with 42 seconds left, and eventually scored the winner in overtime. Versus reporter Keith Jones interviewed Ovechkin and asked him about not playing in his normal role at the end of the game -- he didn't see the ice in the final 3:11 of regulation."

Here's the article on www.nhl.com: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=598565

arturo7 said:
Wow. Is attendance that bad there?

Hell, I do that at Leafs games occasionally... there's often some rich guy who doesn't show up with his wife/buddy/client, and it's easy to spot those empty seats during the first period from up top. The people up front pretty much all seem to know the people sitting close to them, so they generally know what I'm up to, but they're usually cool about it - even to the point of giving me a heads up if they see the seat owners coming or know when they'll show up.

Main difference is that even the "worst" seats in the relatively-new Air Canada Center aren't really bad enough to be called nosebleeds. Oh, and they cost about three times as much.

Toronto wins another - booya, bitches.

Gustavsson is a better mediocre goalie than old washed-up Fatso there for the Devils.

2nd in the League. I'll enjoy it while I can... Can't last long unless the PK and PP gets fixed. I guess the completely new assistant coaching staff sucks just as bad as the one they fired over the summer.

Hell, I do that at Leafs games occasionally... there's often some rich guy who doesn't show up with his wife/buddy/client, and it's easy to spot those empty seats during the first period from up top. The people up front pretty much all seem to know the people sitting close to them, so they generally know what I'm up to, but they're usually cool about it - even to the point of giving me a heads up if they see the seat owners coming or know when they'll show up.

Main difference is that even the "worst" seats in the relatively-new Air Canada Center aren't really bad enough to be called nosebleeds. Oh, and they cost about three times as much.

Indeed! People trash the "suits" down there all the time, but EVERY time I've sat next to them, they have been very friendly, very passionate, and very knowledgeable hockey fans. People seem to think you have to be a drunk moron wearing a jersey to be a "real fan".

Sharks vs. Penguins is going look something like this tonight:

[ame="http://youtu.be/_yqGmx73UJ0"]http://youtu.be/_yqGmx73UJ0[/ame]

Guess who's first in the NHL right at this very second? THAT'S RIGHT, MO-FO'S:

Toronto_Maple_Leafs_2.gif

THE GREATEST TEAM, THE GREATEST FANS.

GO LEAFS GO!

paulster2626 said:
Guess who's first in the NHL right at this very second? THAT'S RIGHT, MO-FO'S:

THE GREATEST TEAM, THE GREATEST FANS.

GO LEAFS GO!

Guess who will be taking that back and filleting sharks tonight?

Alright sharks. I'm still getting shark for the grill this weekend. Have your fun now. The big boys compete in the finals.

copyright1997 said:
Pittsburgh Stats:
Neal tied for 1st in goals.
Fleury tied for 1st in wins.
Pittsburgh 1st in points, 3rd in overall % wins (behind Washington and Dallas).
Pittsburgh 1st in PK% (thanks Cookie, Park, Dupuis, others) Only 1 PK goal given up. That one was in OT on a 4 on 3 situation. Three short handed goals score (league lead).
8th in PP%, but that's a heck of lot better than last year.
11th in Goals per game, without Crosby, mostly w/o Malkin. Doing ok here too.

So far, so good!

Hey, how come we only hear from Detroit, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Caps fans here. Where's everyone else?

Lol at a Pens fan pointing to stats a month into the season. I'm guessing you wore your baby blue 87 jersey that you bought in 2006 around town today too didn't you.

Pssst..... There was hockey in Pittsburgh before 2005.

Alright sharks. I'm still getting shark for the grill this weekend. Have your fun now. The big boys compete in the finals.

I'm glad we (Pittsburgh) don't have to worry about playing the Sharks in the playoffs (because the Sharks never reach the finals :) ). Actually, of all the Western conference teams, I like to watch the Sharks and Colorado.

Still, a point is a point. Should have been two, but oh well.

No scoring depth tonight. All Pittsburgh points involved the Malkin line. One other point...the refs let just about anything happen without calling a penalty (on either team), except for the one penalty (on Orpik) which shouldn't have been called.

Lol at a Pens fan pointing to stats a month into the season. I'm guessing you wore your baby blue 87 jersey that you bought in 2006 around town today too didn't you.

Pssst..... There was hockey in Pittsburgh before 2005.

Dude, if you had bothered to read earlier posts you would have found I had season tickets to the Penguins in the early years after they became an NHL expansion team. And I only gave them up because I moved to New York for work after getting my degree.

By your profile age, I'd say I was watching games in the igloo when you were pooping in your diaper.

copyright1997 said:
Dude, if you had bothered to read earlier posts you would have found I had season tickets to the Penguins in the early years after they became an NHL expansion team. And I only gave them up because I moved to New York for work after getting my degree.

By your profile age, I'd say I was watching games in the igloo when you were pooping in your diaper.

Did you really just say you gave them up? That's a joke, right?

Bwahahahaha........dude.

copyright1997 said:
I'm glad we (Pittsburgh) don't have to worry about playing the Sharks in the playoffs (because the Sharks never reach the finals :) ). Actually, of all the Western conference teams, I like to watch the Sharks and Colorado.

Still, a point is a point. Should have been two, but oh well.

No scoring depth tonight. All Pittsburgh points involved the Malkin line. One other point...the refs let just about anything happen without calling a penalty (on either team), except for the one penalty (on Orpik) which shouldn't have been called.

Classic Pens fan complaining about the lack of penalties called.

Leeds1 said:
Did you really just say you gave them up? That's a joke, right?

Bwahahahaha........dude.

I assume you're referring to the practice of selling the season ticket "license", rather than simply giving them up?

Because I'm pretty sure only a few NHL teams even have such a thing (unlike the NFL, where it's much more common).

Back