Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boleslaus said:
Anyone got any opening night plans? Anyone going to one of the games?

A few buddies of mine are grilling out and drinking some beer...not much out of the ordinary, but its so much sweeter when hockey is on!

Sadly I can't afford hockey tickets. They are hard to get in Pittsburgh anyway. Was going to go to my usual drinkin spot tonight to watch but I have a long day tomorrow going to sit on my couch and drink homebrew. Crazy the first game is a late one. Hopefully there will be a riot in Vancouver ha.

If you don't have it now you might get it in January as it turns into NBC Sports or whatever.

The Pens looked a little bit rusty but not bad. #1 PP right now! Huge win to kick it off.

Pens wrecking Western Canadian teams home openers. I love it. Can't believe the PP is finally clicking. I am cautiously optimistic about that continuing though.

Pens wrecking Western Canadian teams home openers. I love it. Can't believe the PP is finally clicking. I am cautiously optimistic about that continuing though.

Love it. I live in Albany NY area but born and raised in Pittsburgh. I've already ruined my son for the upstate NY area as he is a Pens/Steelers fan. (He still likes the Boston Red Socks in baseball but I am working on that!)

copyright1997 said:
Love it. I live in Albany NY area but born and raised in Pittsburgh. I've already ruined my son for the upstate NY area as he is a Pens/Steelers fan. (He still likes the Boston Red Socks in baseball but I am working on that!)

Smart kid for liking the sox!

Same old Thrashers...Jets that is. I'm glad the boys are in a place that loves the game at least. If the Thrashers had relocated somewhere like Oklahoma City I would have been pissed.

Flyers are 2-0 on two road wins busting up season openers for the defending champs and the rival Devils. Now, to start things right at home against the Canucks on Wednesday!

Pens are working on a 3rd consecutive home opener spoiler. No Malkin or Fluery tonight tho.

Boleslaus said:
Ah, just said. Late scratch, as in after warm-ups. Sore lower body...meaning his knee is acting up?

TBH I didn't hear anything. BJ is a beast. Lucky to have a great back up GT.

5 out of 6 points on the road to start. I'll take it. Come on home boys.

No complaints here when the Pens lose. :ban:

No RW games until Thursday? WTF? The NHL is like a crack dealer.

Yeah, similar boat here for the Flyers...played Saturday and then not again until the home opener on Wednesday. Probably leaving work really early (with the boss) to go to the game.

The Leafs played on Saturday and have an entire week off until next Saturday. Definitely odd.

Mike Yeo > Todd Richards after only 1 game. I'm saying it.

Heatley + Setoguchi = some excitement for the Wild. Need to keep PMB and Lats healthy and we might actually win some games this year. Go Wild! (And tDogs, sorry for some college talk)

Go Flyers! I was pretty skeptical with all the new faces but they are doing really well so far.

philadelphia_flyers_logo.jpg

beerloaf

The Blues won their first for the season this afternoon. Looked good doing it. Held Calgary to 2 shots in the final stanza.

jtkratzer said:
Obnoxious non-Flyers fans make posts hard to read by capitalizing every word...

Obnoxious Flyers Fans Are Too Dumb to Recognize a Mock Title Thread

wildwest450 said:
You chicks are like baseball fans, relax for 30 game or so.

_

True.

I mean, even the Leafs are 2-0 right now. And even I'll admit they're absolutely awful... if that's not a sign that results so far are meaningless, then I don't know what is.

Ill relax when we have a full compliment of players. All of a sudden Genos knee is acting up. Sid is about ready to explode it sounds like. They can still win without either of them but I already had a half season of 1-0 / 2-1 games last year. Get well soon.

emjay said:
Obnoxious Flyers Fans Are Too Dumb to Recognize a Mock Title Thread

We don't have to get nasty, yet. Just giving you a hard time right back.

wildwest450 said:
You chicks are like baseball fans, relax for 30 game or so.

_

30 games is more than 1/3 of the season...and it's just awesome to have the best sport back on. Therewkll be teams who decide the outcome of their seasons over the first three weeks.

True.

I mean, even the Leafs are 2-0 right now. And even I'll admit they're absolutely awful... if that's not a sign that results so far are meaningless, then I don't know what is.

I heard that the Leafs were supposed to be better this season. I heard they might even make the playoffs.

Homercidal said:
I heard that the Leafs were supposed to be better this season. I heard they might even make the playoffs.

Where'd you hear this? I hear the same thing EVERY season.

Honestly though, I do think they have a better shot at making the playoffs this time. After trading Kaberle last season (to Boston, of all teams! How's that for lucky...), they don't have even a single player who's been on the team for more than 3 seasons. So things have definitely changed, to say the least.

But I still think they'll struggle just to make the playoffs (every year they make a big end-of-season push, just to miss out by 1 or two spots), and I don't think they'll make it past round one if they do.

They haven't been in the playoffs in 6-7 years. And as the team that has been by far the most profitable in the NHL for even longer then that, it's really unacceptable. The team is owned by the pension plan for the province's teacher's union, and it is all about maximizing profits. Some teams need to win and be successful to get the fans spending the money and filling the seats, but being a Canadian city with quite a large population, there's no shortage of people who will do so regardless. We could support several teams, really.

And that's the most frustrating. I often get labelled here as not being a "real" fan because I'm not happy with the Leafs, but it's the hordes of people who remain diehard fans regardless of performance that are responsible for us having such a crappy team. The Leafs have more money to spend on their roster than any other team, even during such an extended period of disappointing results... we should be like the Yankees of hockey. But as long as the team can rake in the cash regardless of success, it's never going to make sense for the owners and management to care about winning.

We haven't won a Stanley Cup since '67. 19 years before I was born, and I honestly don't expect to see them win it in my lifetime.

You're entitled to your opinions, but they are wrong. You need to stop reading the Toronto Sun, and start forming your own opinions based on facts.

emjay said:
Where'd you hear this? I hear the same thing EVERY season.

Any Leaf fan that also has any idea as to what else is happening in the NHL will tell you that they are by no means a lock to make the playoffs. Anyone I know that knows the slightest bit about hockey expects them to finish anywhere from 7th-13th in the conference. Really, it's all about the goalie this year and nothing else. The people who think the Leafs are going to make the playoffs every year don't actually watch the games, you should know this by now.

emjay said:
they don't have even a single player who's been on the team for more than 3 seasons. So things have definitely changed, to say the least.
This should tell you just how ****ed-up things were when Burke arrived. A terrible team that was just gutted by Fletch, with only about 3 decent prospects (Kulemin, Schenn, Reimer). Making the playoffs is going to take time.

emjay said:
(every year they make a big end-of-season push, just to miss out by 1 or two spots)
Last year's push was a little longer than end-of-season. It started on New Year's Day when a decent goalie was finally between the pipes, and lasted for 3+ months.

emjay said:
The team is owned by the pension plan for the province's teacher's union, and it is all about maximizing profits. Some teams need to win and be successful to get the fans spending the money and filling the seats, but being a Canadian city with quite a large population, there's no shortage of people who will do so regardless. We could support several teams, really.
If this organization was so concerned about profits only, then you must explain the following:
#1 - They are $2M below the Salary Cap. If profits are more important than wins, then why spend an extra $14M more than you have to (floor is $16M less than cap)?
#2 - The Leafs have the most expensive front office in the League. Again, why spend all that cash on Burke, Nonis, Fletch, Loiselle, etc. when winning isn't important? Why bother replacing the entire assistant coaching staff this summer?
#3 - Why build a new training facility (Mastercard Centre for Hockey Excellence) which is the best in the NHL? Lot of money to waste there.
#4 - Why would they bury contracts in the minors, to clear roster cap-space for more spending on better players? Jeff Finger is making $3.5M to play minor league hockey.

emjay said:
And that's the most frustrating. I often get labelled here as not being a "real" fan because I'm not happy with the Leafs, but it's the hordes of people who remain diehard fans regardless of performance that are responsible for us having such a crappy team.

WHAT??? How can it be the fans' fault? Really, you honestly believe this? The Rangers haven't won since '94, yet they sell out every game. Stupid fans. The Wild have never won, but those misguided fans keep showing up. Montreal - another well-attended franchise that hasn't seen a cup in 18 years. Hopefully the fans of these teams will get wise and stop showing up, right?

emjay said:
The Leafs have more money to spend on their roster than any other team, even during such an extended period of disappointing results... we should be like the Yankees of hockey. But as long as the team can rake in the cash regardless of success, it's never going to make sense for the owners and management to care about winning.

Buddy, there is a SALARY CAP. The Leafs cannot spend as much as they want anymore to guarantee deep playoff runs, like they did pre-lockout. JFJ apparently knew this, but wasn't free to make the proper moves because Peddie was controlling his every move. With the arrival of Burke, Peddie's reign of idiocy has ended, and we now see a GM with freedom to make decent moves. Not every trade/signing has worked out, but not many have failed, either.
Your comparison to the Yankees is flawed - NY can spend as much as they want, and just pay a luxury tax on top of baseball's soft-cap. Hockey teams to not have this flexibility.
The reason to make the post-season is simple: MONEY. Yes that's right. Not even counting the gate, concession, and TV revenue from playoff games, the sales on branded merchandise alone would be record setting if Toronto ever made it to the finals, let alone actually won the whole damn thing.

We haven't won a Stanley Cup since '67. 19 years before I was born, and I honestly don't expect to see them win it in my lifetime.
Then why cheer for 'em then? Stop watching the games. Stop caring. But I'll still save a seat for you on the bandwagon when the team is finally competitive again. There's plenty of room!

In any case, GO LEAFS GO! We can watch them win together some day perhaps.

I actually agree with a fair bit of what you've said, though clearly not all of it.

However, I don't read the Sun and have no idea what position the paper or its writers have taken. In fact, I really couldn't tell you where any of the papers stand. The opinions I've formed ARE entirely my own... whether or not they are "correct".

Ill relax when we have a full compliment of players. All of a sudden Genos knee is acting up. Sid is about ready to explode it sounds like. They can still win without either of them but I already had a half season of 1-0 / 2-1 games last year. Get well soon.

Ain't that the truth. The best skilled team in the league, yet when Crosby and Malkin aren't in the lineup everybody on the team seems to now believe that only Crosby and Malkin ever score.

Watching the beginning of the third period of the oilers game, you could just feel that they had closed down and would eventually allow a goal on Johnson (who was fantastic).

While I'm venting, James Neal needs to practice shooting at the goal. I'm an old fart and almost believe that I could put the puck on goal more than he is doing.

Still, 5 out of 6 possible points on the road!

Back