Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neal looks better than he did last season with the pens though. He's playing hard and seems to be in the right areas at least. He was almost non-existent to end the year. I barely noticed him.

copyright1997 said:
Ain't that the truth. The best skilled team in the league, yet when Crosby and Malkin aren't in the lineup everybody on the team seems to now believe that only Crosby and Malkin ever score.

Watching the beginning of the third period of the oilers game, you could just feel that they had closed down and would eventually allow a goal on Johnson (who was fantastic).

While I'm venting, James Neal needs to practice shooting at the goal. I'm an old fart and almost believe that I could put the puck on goal more than he is doing.

Still, 5 out of 6 possible points on the road!

He shoots everything high. Don't these guys watch tape? No it's not that they are the only ones that can score but they are both centers. It really screws up the lines. Our second line center tonight. Not even sure he should be in the NHL. He scored some flukey goals at the begining of last season. Thats about all he has done.

That's #3 for Cooke. He said he was a changed man, a different player. Didn't know that meant he was a sniper now. I accept this new Cookie.

Ok guys I need some advice. Since I am now without a home team I'm looking to buy a new jersey to wear around. I grew up in Buffalo and have followed the Sabres since I started playing hockey. But my parents are both from Pittsburgh and so we have always been Pens fans too. Letang is probably my favorite player, but I like the Sabres more than the Pens. However...I don't really have a favorite player. I like Ennis, but there is no guarantee he'll be there for the long haul.

So what's a guy to do?

Which is your closest team?

When in doubt, you can honor tradition and root for the Habs or Leafs.

Just not both...

Well I'm in Atlanta, so no team is really close (don't like the Canes or the Preds). My chances of living in various cities over the next 2-3 years:

Buffalo - 0%
Pittsburgh - 2%
Dallas - 8%
San Jose - 10%
Chicago - 40%
Atlanta - 40%

So I guess it would make the most sense to get a Blackhawks jersey. I like watching them, but I don't want to be a bandwagon fan haha. It would be nice to show up to a game with the home teams jersey though. I could get a Kane jersey...blackhawks but still showing support for my hometown.

Buffalo. It's your team from your childhood. A playlet like Lidstrom or Madano playing an entire career in one franchise is extremely rare.

My Flyers Mike Richards captain jersey is now out of style, but I'm wearing it tonight to the home opener.

I wish I had a Madano Jersey from when the Stars were in Minnesota.

Ok guys I need some advice. Since I am now without a home team I'm looking to buy a new jersey to wear around. I grew up in Buffalo and have followed the Sabres since I started playing hockey. But my parents are both from Pittsburgh and so we have always been Pens fans too. Letang is probably my favorite player, but I like the Sabres more than the Pens. However...I don't really have a favorite player. I like Ennis, but there is no guarantee he'll be there for the long haul.

So what's a guy to do?

Aren't you a Jets fan now? :D

Ok, Smart_ss comment aside, go with the Sabres - nice colors.
But, you will find plenty of PENS fans ALLl around. I get plenty of compliments on Penguins/Steelers stuff here in upstate NY (Albany area), where one would expect to be either a NY area (Rangers, Devils - farm club here, Islanders) or Boston Bruins fan.

Oh, since I am old school, for Pittsburgh I would go for the classic blue.

Well you know I have to suggest the Letang jersey. This guy is going to rip it up this year. NHLs leading scorer right now even I think. I am not sure I have seen better wheels on a Dman. Wait till Orpik comes back and they really let him go.

So what's a guy to do?

You don't choose a team, it chooses you. Sounds like you need to watch a Pittsburgh vs. Buffalo game.

But I will say that people who have suddenly started being "fans" of the Pens since Crosby came to town are, well, really lame. Sabres fans have always been pretty cool, and actually very welcoming when the Leafs fans invade the HSBC arena 3 times a year. The ones I've sat beside there sure knew a hell of a lot more about hockey than the clowns in the Mellon.

paulster2626 said:
You don't choose a team, it chooses you. Sounds like you need to watch a Pittsburgh vs. Buffalo game.

But I will say that people who have suddenly started being "fans" of the Pens since Crosby came to town are, well, really lame. Sabres fans have always been pretty cool, and actually very welcoming when the Leafs fans invade the HSBC arena 3 times a year. The ones I've sat beside there sure knew a hell of a lot more about hockey than the clowns in the Mellon.

I came through with Mario and JJ but I have no problem with new fans coming aboard. I guess you didn't mind seeing an empty igloo pre-Crosby? As long as you stay on the wagon after joining, I have no problem.

I know, I'm really leaning towards the Sabres jersey. The white's are my favorite jersey of all time. I still remember watching the last game at the Aud against the Whalers.

Actually I agree that most of the people that go to the games don't know crap but only the wine and cheese crew can afford to go to games. The rest of us have to watch on TV.

mxracer652 said:
2 line pass eliminated post lockout. Crosby starts in NHL post lockout.

Bringing that topic up is the easiest way to know if someone is a legit fan or a wagon rider (in Pittsburgh anyway).

Everyone has to start somewhere.

Boleslaus said:
Well I'm in Atlanta, so no team is really close (don't like the Canes or the Preds). My chances of living in various cities over the next 2-3 years:

Buffalo - 0%
Pittsburgh - 2%
Dallas - 8%
San Jose - 10%
Chicago - 40%
Atlanta - 40%

So I guess it would make the most sense to get a Blackhawks jersey. I like watching them, but I don't want to be a bandwagon fan haha. It would be nice to show up to a game with the home teams jersey though. I could get a Kane jersey...blackhawks but still showing support for my hometown.

If you chose Shvtcago, I take back all the nice things I said about you.

If you chose Shvtcago, I take back all the nice things I said about you.

You really have a hard on for the Central, don't ya? Never fear, it looks like Detroit is headed to the East, and were taking all our road sellouts with us.

_

Personally I welcome Detroit to the East if that's how it shakes out. The Pens vs Wings games are a lot of fun to watch.

Beezy said:
Personally I welcome Detroit to the East if that's how it shakes out. The Pens vs Wings games are a lot of fun to watch.

The Wings belong in the east, it's crazy that they have to play so many games on the left coast when they're in the eastern time zone. I'd love to see the Sabres and Wings start up a battle of Lake Erie rivalry.

neut2004 said:
The Wings belong in the east, it's crazy that they have to play so many games on the left coast when they're in the eastern time zone. I'd love to see the Sabres and Wings start up a battle of Lake Erie rivalry.

So is Columbus and Nashville.

I came through with Mario and JJ but I have no problem with new fans coming aboard. I guess you didn't mind seeing an empty igloo pre-Crosby? As long as you stay on the wagon after joining, I have no problem.

When in high school/college, I had partial season tickets...this is early/mid 70's!. Now that's when the typical game brought 4 or 5 thousand people. I seem to remember paying about $3/ticket (this was up in the D section - we sat right by where the cameraman for the penguins recorded the games and saw the footage as they watched it being periods.) Anybody out there old enough to remember Syl Apps, Jean Pronovost, Buggsy Watson and Eddie Shack? I still remember them losing to the islanders in the 75 playoffs (I was there at the game). It's been a long time as I moved away after college (Pitt) and have been away over 30 years.

So, even though I don't live there, I think I qualify as a long term fan! :mug:

When in high school/college, I had partial season tickets...this is early/mid 70's!. Now that's when the typical game brought 4 or 5 thousand people. I seem to remember paying about $3/ticket (this was up in the D section - we sat right by where the cameraman for the penguins recorded the games and saw the footage as they watched it being periods.) Anybody out there old enough to remember Syl Apps, Jean Pronovost, Buggsy Watson and Eddie Shack? I still remember them losing to the islanders in the 75 playoffs (I was there at the game). It's been a long time as I moved away after college (Pitt) and have been away over 30 years.

Nope, nope not that old. I was 1 in 75. I didn't watch hockey until 1990. My family pretty much only watched football. Now they watch hockey, bandwagon jumpers! I worked with a guy that used to go see the Hornets down at the Igloo. He told me in those days the NHL teams would actually play against the minor affiliates and he got to see a most of the legends of the late 60's early 70's down there. Pretty cool. My first game was in 93. I have been to one other, last year lol. That's how broke ass I am :(

Who is a Crapitols fan? Big one tomorrow eh? Hopefully Geno is back. The Pens will win either way.

Awesome. Mid 80s my dad would take my bro & I down on game day, buy 3 seats in B section center ice for $15ish each. There were always available seats. I watched 2 guys carry a 1/4 barrel into a game once, set it on the seat between them & party on all game. This was when you could still get into the arena 3 hours early & watch practice.

Good job. Vancouver sucks giant balls, not as a hockey team, but as a city in general.
Really? IMHO, Vancouver is the 2nd nicest city I've been to. That includes 37 US states, Ontario, British Columbia, Australia, Jamaica, Brazil, Mexico, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Germany.

Really? IMHO, Vancouver is the 2nd nicest city I've been to. That includes 37 US states, Ontario, British Columbia, Australia, Jamaica, Brazil, Mexico, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Germany.

City is cool, it's the *****er hippies that live there who make it lame.

I am exaggerating immensely here. Compared to any city in the USA, Van****ty is paradise.

Back