Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrooze

Reaction score
I had this beer last year when I was in Seattle and my god, it's by far the best pumpkin beer I've ever had. Tasted like a creamy pumpkin pie and the aftertaste tasted just like whipped cream. It was amazing!

Here's Elysian's write-up on it:
Brewed with over 7 lbs of pumpkin per barrel. Made with Pale, Munich and Crystal malts, green and roasted pumpkin seeds, and pumpkin in the mash, boil and fermenter. Bittered with Magnum hops. Spiced in conditioning with nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. Starting gravity 14.9° Plato (1.060) alcohol 4.6% by weight, 5.9% by volume.

I was wondering if anyone has had this beer and decided to make a clone of it. Their write-up gives most of the ingredient details but the quantities is kind of what I was wondering about. Any suggestions?

I've had both, and Southern Tier is SO much more Pumpkin-pie-y than Night Owl. Both are great beers though to be sure.

I don't, unfortunately have a recipe for either.

So, did you brew the beer? How did it go? I'm planning to brew it Saturday and I'm interested to hear how your brew went. I have a RIMS system, so I'm al little curious about how the mash and sparge will go with the pumpkin in (or on) the grain bed. Cheers. Ken.

No, I haven't had a chance to brew this yet. I haven't seen any whole pumpkins in my area and the recipe calls for fresh pumpkin, not canned. I think I'll reserve this for a "winter" brew this year.

I too had my first http://www.elysianbrewing.com/elysian-beers/night-owl-pumpkin-ale/ the other night and fell in love with it. I came here hoping to find a great clone (am still looking) but haven't found exactly what I want yet.

So now it appears I am late to this party by 5 years but I am looking for some extra information on top of your previous investigation. The podcast above was a great help and may give me the start I need if somebody else hasn't completed this in a different thread yet.

What I extracted from the podcast above:
10# Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
2.2# Munich 10 Lovibond
.55# Crystal 60 malt
4.4# Baked Pumpkin
1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1/8 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/2 Ounce Magnum (13.5 Alpha) @60min
Wyeast 1968 London ESB Yeast

6.5 gal pre boil
5.5 gal in Fermentor

What I don't have is the boil details. (I have only ever worked with extracts)
Any idea on grain temp/seep time?
All the spices in the boil or after?
Pumpkin in the boil, right?

It's been a few years, so I thought I would check in to see if anyone has found a solid all-grain Elysian Night Owl clone.

A good starting point would be:
70% pale
20% munich
2% carahell
2% c-20
2% c-45
4% Special B

Brew the beer and make adjustments as needed.
It might take several times tweaking the recipe.

I'm going to cook, but I have questions.
1. By pumpkin variety. But here it probably tastes ...
2. The main question. Do we mash baked pumpkin with malt, or add it only when boiling?

I'm going to cook, but I have questions.
1. By pumpkin variety. But here it probably tastes ...
2. The main question. Do we mash baked pumpkin with malt, or add it only when boiling?

This isn't helpful since Elysian uses pumpkin puree, but I found it interesting that Elysian adds the pumpkin puree to the mash and fermenter, and then they add pumpkin seeds to the mash.

https://www.elysianbrewing.com/beer/night-owl
I used puree and added it to the mash and the boil. Next year I'm going to explore the pumpkin seeds.

Back