Earthquake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

309117_10150318293444743_80380524742_7576118_3212459_n (1).jpg

My wife was sitting at home when the quake hit. She didn't realize what it was at first, and yelled for my 12 year old boy to knock off whatever it was he was doing!

I can imagine that people that may have never felt an earthquake would immediately associate it with concussion from a bomb, or some other destructive force.

That is more or less what I would have expected but this was really different. Everything was just gently but (at least to us) felt extremly swaying. It felt almost I dentical to being on a small boat in wind. It was just weird. Apparently that isn't normal either but it happened because the ground under us is more or less just one huge slab of crust instead of ton of small chunks like out west. That is also why it was felt over such a huge distance.

5.8 near Richmond, Virginia.

That's an odd place for an earthquake, isn't it?

Not really. I used to live in Mineral, where it happened, and there was an earthquake then as well (this would be about 7 or 8 years ago). Not as large, but definitely noticeable. From what I understand, there is a fault near there.

Not really. I used to live in Mineral, where it happened, and there was an earthquake then as well (this would be about 7 or 8 years ago). Not as large, but definitely noticeable. From what I understand, there is a fault near there.

Yeah... I read up on it. It isn't uncommon to have earthquakes, but it IS uncommon for them to be of that magnitude.

They occur almost daily here in So Cal, but most aren't noticeable. I live right on a fault line though, so we feel our share of them.

I noticed some chatter about cell phones not working - that is almost always the case in the vicinty of a quake because the cell towers get overloaded with callers so quickly. Text messaging usually works though.

5.8?

Pfft, the West Coast sleeps through that kind of nonsense. Also, learn to build your monuments better. Those things are meant to last, damnit! :D

They occur almost daily here in So Cal, but most aren't noticeable. I live right on a fault line though, so we feel our share of them.

I noticed some chatter about cell phones not working - that is almost always the case in the vicinty of a quake because the cell towers get overloaded with callers so quickly. Text messaging usually works though.

Almost daily? That is crazy, I mean how can that not make you nervous?

How far south are you? I lived in Santa Maria and don't remember once noticing any ground shaking. Maybe too mild..then again I slept right through this one.

..oh, and I was only there for 3 mo.

How far south are you? I lived in Santa Maria and don't remember once noticing any ground shaking. Maybe too mild..then again I slept right through this one.

The USGS maintains a list of earthquakes. There are dozens daily in CA and AK, many 3.0 and above. The difference is the crust composition. A 5.8 on the east coast will be felt harder and over a wider area than the west coast.

This page shows you how many Earthquakes occur in California on a daily basis. Generally anything less than a 3 won't be noticed unless you're sitting on top of it. But you can see on the map that a quake above a three happens at least once a week somewhere in Cali. I live in the desert west of Palm Springs, right over the San Jacinto fault, which is the most active in Southern California. We probably only notice them 3-4 times a year.

Back