dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnut

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about 6 years and do all grain and partial mash/extract. I have always used liquid yeast, but have heard lately that dry yeast is much better than it use to be. I'm thinking of giving it a try and wonder if anyone has used dry yeast lately and could give me some feed back on good dry yeast strains. Thanks Dave

Dave_42 recommended Nottingham for me and my high temps here in Texas. I must say it has done a great job for me so far. I have 3 packs in the fridge as backups right now. My research has shown nothing but good comments on Nottingham Dry Yeast.

I have used US-56 twice and it works well. It ferments out nice and compact. It has got good reviews from all that I have read.

My last brew was with Safbrew T-58. Turned out great The lag time was very short... like under 3 hours.

Nottingham is a good, balanced ale yeast. Nothing special about it, and it is easy to use. I've used it with good results. I don't recommend it for a beer that you may be looking for a special taste, because it may disappoint, but overall, it will pull through.

Blender said:
I have used US-56 twice and it works well. It ferments out nice and compact. It has got good reviews from all that I have read.

Have also used Safale us56 twice. Very short lag time - 3-4 hours.

Another thing Ill say about dry yeast is that my lag time averages only about 6-8 hours. Its always real quick to take off.

Ive been using dry for my last 6-7 batches and im loving it. I use us-56, safale 04, and t-58. The '04' ferments hella fast (1-2 days).

I used to use liquid exclusively as well but now that ive popped my dry yeast cherry ill use both depending on the circumstances.

I entered a apa in a recent contest and although i didnt win ****e i placed pretty well and i used the us-56. The only flaws i recieved were for problems unrelated to yeast (oxidation, and lack of hop aroma).

I use Safale S-04 almost exclusively on my ales. I don't bother with a starter I just tip it in the fermenter and run the cooled wort from the boiler straight on top. More often than not I get a lag time of no more than a couple of hours. I normally ferment around 18C but with the abnormally hot summer we've had in the UK this year I've struggled to keep the fermentation temperature below 26C and I've detected no unpleasant effects so, I'd recommend it.

IMO it beats waiting to see if the smack pack will do it's thang!

/Phil.

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
What is the flavor profile like with the t-58??

Banana's....:ban:

Ive only used it once, but my PA tase like a belgian ale, although it could be from a fly that landed in my wort prior to pitching

I have used Nottigham many times with success. I usually rehydrate it first for a faster start. My last batch I used Safale US 56,just poured it on top out of the pack.,activity started in 9 hrs and produced a good beer.

My US-56 beer turned out great, well attenuated & clean, so I'll throw in a vote for that. I'm going to try Nottingham or S-04 next.

Windsor is also good for its' fruitiness and lower attenuation. Makes for a slightly sweet finish. As you might guess I'm a big fan of dried yeasts. I rarely do styles that depend on the yeast's contribution, in fact, I use dried yeasts because they are clean fermenters. My ales are about hops and grains and it's hard to beat being able to store yeast packets for months.

I noticed that Northernbrewer is carrying Brewferm's Belgian-style dried yeast. I think this is the first dried Belgian yeast on the market. (not that I do Belgians)

Aren't Saf 33 and 58 belgian strains?

I orderd a few packs of Safale 04, 56 Safbrew 33 and aflager 23. They were out of T-58 (unless I wanted a 500gram brick!) at paddockwood. Being in Canada I fig shipping times/cost would be lower.

I've used Mauribrew recently. Good, fast yeast that can handle temps up to 86F
Nottinghma was awlays a good clean yeast, best brewed at lower temps and is about as clean as a lager yeast at 60F.

Anyway, I should have my order by next tuesday. How fruity is the s-04?
Is it recomended for English ales due to fruitiness or because it finishes sweeter?

compared to the cost of liquid wyeast i have fallen back to the first time brews of mine. all i used was dried yeast with no probs... it cost me 17$ dollars for 2 wyeast smack packs and 2$ dollars for dried Muntons or cooper yeast. when im cutting my brew cost in half i can live without the specialty strains. The forefathers did it for centuries and i belive i can produce results that most people cant even notice... thanks for the dry yeast strain comparisions:mug:

insco2 said:
it cost me 17$ dollars for 2 wyeast smack packs

HOLY SH*T! You got robbed, man.

Did that include shipping costs or something? crazy, or were the packs simply $8.50 each?

-walker

LHBS carries them for 8.50 up from 7.50. Brewing is always spontanious with me no time to order out to a supply company.Ill fix them though HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
Aren't Saf 33 and 58 belgian strains?

I orderd a few packs of Safale 04, 56 Safbrew 33 and aflager 23. They were out of T-58 (unless I wanted a 500gram brick!) at paddockwood. Being in Canada I fig shipping times/cost would be lower.

I've used Mauribrew recently. Good, fast yeast that can handle temps up to 86F

Where did you get maribrew from? I would like to try that yeast.

I just pitched Safale s-04 Saturday at 4:00 pm and had fernentation at 8:00 and Active Fer at 10:30 It finished fermenting on monday.. The only problem is that the nice smell of fermentation was short lived. (might have to brew again)
I use Notingham and Safale 56 the majority of the time. I have used dry yeast since 1991 and have had no problems and for 5 years I brewed with friends every weekend at least one batch. I used liquid yeast once and will mot use it again. I do reuse yeast from like brews by pitching in top of yeast slury. Never had a problem with infections, just a little spice carryover from a holiday beer to a pale ale that turned out spiced.

hey logbuyercab do you pitch your dry yeast directly to the wort or do you warm it up in a cup of warm water before pitching?

Supposedly it is best to rehydrate your dry yeast with plain tap water. I boil mine and let cool to 100 degrees and then sprinkle the yeast on. After 15 minutes, I give it a swirl. It's ready to pitch after another 15 minutes. This is from the How To Brew Book.

Zymurgy Mag published an article in the July/August issue, “Liquid vs. Dried Yeast.” They did a comparison of White labs WLP051, Wyeast 1056, and Fermentis US56 dry ale yeast. They also pitched one carboy with half – half dry ale US56, and dry Lager W-34/70 also from S.I. Lesaffre. The White lab sample took off first, 12 hours, and the Wyeast took the longest to get going, 24 hours. After conditioning, there were only slight differences in nose, taste, and finish. Oddly enough, the two liquid yeasts were the two with the most differences. They said they enjoyed the ale/lager dry yeast batch best overall.

I like the convenience and lower price of the dry yeasts, and more quality, varieties are becoming available including Belgian yeast strains.

I have tried liquid yeast before, and it pissed me off! These are all I use now for my ales!

Super fast agressive yeast, and I only use one packet for 12 gallons. It rocks!

yeast.jpg

Thirstyone said:
I have tried liquid yeast before, and it pissed me off! These are all I use now for my ales!

I used the 58 with very good results. I am curious as to why it pissed you off though? Dry yeast is good option for beers, but if you want to brew something specific... a Hefe for instance. The dry yeast available will only get you so far. When I inicially brewed, dry yeast was all I had (and there was not even a lot of options with the dry as well.... 2 or 3). Now there are so many options with dry and liquid it is truely daunting :ban:

Beer Snob said:
I used the 58 with very good results. I am curious as to why it pissed you off though? Dry yeast is good option for beers, but if you want to brew something specific... a Hefe for instance. The dry yeast available will only get you so far. When I inicially brewed, dry yeast was all I had (and there was not even a lot of options with the dry as well.... 2 or 3). Now there are so many options with dry and liquid it is truely daunting :ban:

For me it was the lag time, even sometimes with starters. The dry stuff gets going real fast

It's odd, but you'd think the wet yeasts would start faster than the dried ones. Seems like the wet yeasts would have a head start on the dry ones, as they are already hydrated.

I haven't used any dry yeast yet, but I plan to on a near future batch so I can see if I like it better than the wet ones.

beer4breakfast said:
It's odd, but you'd think the wet yeasts would start faster than the dried ones. Seems like the wet yeasts would have a head start on the dry ones, as they are already hydrated.

I haven't used any dry yeast yet, but I plan to on a near future batch so I can see if I like it better than the wet ones.

I think it's a matter of initial cell count. Your liquid yeast has a lot of non-yeast material in it. The dried yeast is almost all yeast.

-walker

I just returned to homebrewing after a, shall we say "sabbatical". When we used to brew, we had to choose between coopers and coopers or we could use coopers:rolleyes:
Since I started back up this year ... WOW ... is all i have to say. The nottingham has worked well, dry, clean, but takes a while to get going. May be the beer style though. Its a esb we brew again, and again, and again. Windsor seems to start a little faster, little less dry. s-04 blasted off one time, even with about 4 inches head space (literally, wife not impressed with mess on ceiling and wall), coopers seems to work better than it did (less lag time). Man, I just realized that my neighbour and I have brewed a crapload of beer this year.

One final thought ... Danstar is working on a lager yeast, maybe its already out ... should be a quality product though.
right on
newfie

See it is all just very important to make a yeast starter when using liquid. And a good one.... not a half a** made one that you put together 2 hours before you plan to use it. I started using yeast starters when I joined this group and have seen the benifits of using them.

Back