Best dry yeast for a German Pils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonas217

Reaction score
I'm brewing a German Pils soon and I'm thinking of using a dry yeast this time. What is the best dry yeast for that style? I'm looking for a strain that produces clean crisp lagers that emphasize hops more than malt.

I'm brewing a German Pils soon and I'm thinking of using a dry yeast this time. What is the best dry yeast for that style? I'm looking for a strain that produces clean crisp lagers that emphasize hops more than
Ive used lallemond diamond with success on a Marzen though 34/70 may me more appropriate for that style. Heres a screenshot from the Meanbrews youtube video for that style.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231221-133329_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20231221-133329_YouTube.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231221-133329_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20231221-133329_YouTube.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 0
I’ve used both 34/70 and Diamond. My preference is Diamond. I perceived the beer to be more malty and crisp but that could be all in my head.

I’ve used both 34/70 and Diamond. My preference is Diamond. I perceived the beer to be more malty and crisp but that could be all in my head.
Well how bout that looks like the Diamond is likely related to 3470 too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231221-144458_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20231221-144458_Brave.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 0
I would suggest that either 34/70, Diamond, or S-189 will do a great job when utilized with a step mash.

I tend to use S-189 during the colder months, 34/70 during fall and spring, and Diamond for my July and August beers (Diamond can really suck a wort dry).

Of the three, I’ll argue that 34/70 is the best option because if you invest the time to learn 34/70, you can do anything with it. At the end of the day, there isn’t much difference between the various lager yeasts, so it pays to invest time into learning a single strain really well, then experimenting with the others.

For what it’s worth, that’s how I see it.

I have most of them in my frozen yeast bank. All are very good. So far I am up to the second generation. The beers are best when keg is almost empty. 2-3 months after kegging.

s23 makes very crisp beers at cold temps but is not forgiving like34/70
i just tried cellarscience german which i think is repackaged 34 70 and it is super crisp and very highly packed yeast cake . i fermented at 52 and it drops like a rock . and got me 4.86 abv from a 1046 wort.

although not german pilsner style yeast cellar science baja also makes incredibly crisp lagers but again keep it cold it doesnt seem to like the warmer side of fermentation like 3470

im liking the cellarscinece yeast for the variety and the price point.

as an aside - i repitch and there seems to be a diffrence in what dry yeasts can tolerate the most repitches. i get more beers out of a pack of s23 than baja but baja tastes cleaner to me.

Back